Zmart Remote Control Software and Dongle Converts Smartphones

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
zmart-remote.jpg

A company called Viatek, just launched a new app and physical dongle device that can convert your iOS or Android smartphone into a universal remote control for nearly all of your home electronics, like Blu-Ray players, DVD Players, TVS and much more. The app is available for free , but the dongle will retail for $19.99, and attaches to the headphone jack of your smartphone. This seems like a small price to pay compared to the wide variety of very expensive physical universal remotes available in the retail chain. Here's the full press release with some additional info,

Viatek Launches New Zmart Remote for both Android and Apple Devices at CES Show in Las Vegas

Chattanooga, Tennessee, January 2013- Ever dream of controlling everything in your home with one single remote? With the new Zmart Remote, you never have to see a remote control again. Zmart Remote is the first and only remote APP that works on both Apple iOS and Android phones. This powerful universal remote controls everything in the home including, CD Players, Blu-rays, stereo equipment, projectors, even the coffee maker, from the convenience of your Apple or Android phone.

Featuring “Zmarter” than ever technology you can feel confident knowing that your home devices will comply with the Zmart Remote and is covered by a lifetime warranty. Zmart impressively controls a combination of 200,000 devices and covers 95% of brands in the market with a built-in learn command, making it the the most powerful universal remote in the world.

Home automation has never been so easy or convenient. Simply install the free app from the App Store or Google Play. Once installation is complete, plug the small one inch device into the audio jack of your iPhone, iPhone 5, iPad, iPod, or any android devices including phones and tablets. Watch as the Zmart Remote allows you to control every TV, DVD, Blu-ray, home theater, cable box, and appliance in your home effortlessly.

Not only is this wonderful device compliant with your major home appliances, Zmart works in conjunction with the Zmart Switch, an instant 2-way wireless switch that allows you to control overhead lights, ceiling fans, outdoor lights, ceiling fans, and much more.

Suggested retail of Zmart Remote is $19.99 and is now available for purchase at ZMART by Viatek | Home. So Zmart!

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why didn't I think of that?

I wonder what else could be done with the headphones port?

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think it's brilliant. I loved the idea of the Logitech app but the wifi-to-IR converter was stupid expensive. I might as well spend a couple dollars more and buy a Logitech Harmony remote.

If the app is sophisticated, $20 is nothing to replace several remotes.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
As cool as this is, I still prefer my Harmony remote. I don't look at my remote when I use it. Its all done by feeling the buttons for me.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ahahahahaha, tew late. The new Sony Xperia ZL has an IR blaster built in and a pretty large number of standard devices pre-programmed or available for download.

Still, nice to see that someone made this happen. A lot of techies have been trying to come up with something viable for a while now.

rwdfan

Reaction score
This is a great start to an interesting technology. I don't think it is quite ready for prime time. Every time I want to do a remote operation, I need to plug in a little flag on top of my phone. How about use in several rooms?

I do hope this evolves into something more useful...

2001400ex

Reaction score
This is a great start to an interesting technology. I don't think it is quite ready for prime time. Every time I want to do a remote operation, I need to plug in a little flag on top of my phone. How about use in several rooms?

I do hope this evolves into something more useful...

How is this not useful? Am I missing something? You plug it into your phone at your couch, then unplug it when you are done.

rwdfan

Reaction score
The problem is if you want to use it in more than one location. I would have to carry it with me, or buy one wherever I want to control a remote. I have IR devices in 4 rooms in my house, and one at my business.

I am not saying it's useless, but the capability really shines when I can use it wherever I need it.

jtpowell

Reaction score
Truly nothing new under the sun. Who remember when WinMo's and Palm phones had IR ports on them? My Sony NX70V had some slick multi remote software built in. Granted not a phone but still. Now they charge us for the port and app and we're happy. What's next, FM radio attachment?

JRParsons

Reaction score
For $20 I'd try it, Logitech stupidly discontinued the Harmony One and replaced it with a $200 Harmony Touch. If I have to look at my remote, rather than use it by feel, I'd rather do it for $20 than $200.