z4 root help

Reaction score
So I really want to try root but am a little sacred. because of all the cautions out there about doing it. So I went ahead and downloaded. z4 root and to try it out clicked on temporary. root. The screen went to the loading circle and said running exploit to gain root access,it ran for around 16 minutes then just froze and nothing happened. It sat there for around 5 more minutes till I had to just pull the battery because it was completely froze. I hope I didnt mess anything up by doing that. But why didn't it work?did I so something wrong? I don't get it.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do not use Z4Root....it has issues with Droid X's....follow the link in my signature below this post. There is an app you can download on your PC....takes about 10 seconds to install....another 10 to hook your phone up with the cable after you find it....and about 2 seconds to root the DX.

OP
really fascinating
Reaction score
So I read on another forum post that the z4 was so great. I don't really want to root permanently at leSt not right now. I really just want to do it just to see what its like, but want it to be easy to go back. In case I don't like it. And another thing is I don't currently have internet on ky home computer. So anything I do has to download to my x. and then be transferred over. As long as that will work ill give it a try. But will also need anything I would have to use if I run into problems. My Droid is my life I live on this thing for all but 8 hours a day

Last edited:

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
IMO...and others are welcome to chime in. You aren't going to experiencing anything amazing in a temp root. You can't install anything like a ROM or theme because once you reboot (which is part of installing these things) you lose root...that is what the "temp" means in temp.....until reboot. If you were close to me i would say come on over and play with my wife's D1 and my D2....they are both rooted, ROM'd, OC'd, and amazing.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Do not use Z4Root....it has issues with Droid X's....follow the link in my signature below this post. There is an app you can download on your PC....takes about 10 seconds to install....another 10 to hook your phone up with the cable after you find it....and about 2 seconds to root the DX.

"Issues" like..? I've personally used Z4 on 8 in-hand DXs, not to mention the countless members' DXs here I've walked through rooting, ROMs, OC, MM, etc. Never had one single issue with Z4 other than it hanging while obtaining exploits. In which case, a reboot resolved the problem. With no PC, it gets no better. There has also not been one case where it damaged anything.

This thread has been Thunder struck!!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
IMO...and others are welcome to chime in. You aren't going to experiencing anything amazing in a temp root. You can't install anything like a ROM or theme because once you reboot (which is part of installing these things) you lose root...that is what the "temp" means in temp.....until reboot. If you were close to me i would say come on over and play with my wife's D1 and my D2....they are both rooted, ROM'd, OC'd, and amazing.

+1....always use Permanent Root (option changes to in-root when your phone is rooted and you open Z4 again). Temp Root is a waste.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score

"Issues" like..? I've personally used Z4 on 8 in-hand DXs, not to mention the countless members' DXs here I've walked through rooting, ROMs, OC, MM, etc. Never had one single issue with Z4 other than it hanging while obtaining exploits. In which case, a reboot resolved the problem. With no PC, it gets no better. There has also not been one case where it damaged anything.

oh I agree it works....but everytime I walk people through Z4 roots with DX's they get really nervous about the hanging. When I rooted my D2 with Z4 it took around 5 seconds if that. It works...but that hang makes people nervous.

kickyindahead

Reaction score

Ive rooted and rommed two friends DX's with z4root and didnt have a single hiccup along the way .. just sayin... z4root worked for me

VanZandt

Reaction score
I used Z4 to root my X about a month ago, I downloaded from here
http://www.droid-life.com/2010/12/09/z4root-will-root-the-droid-x-2-3-340-update/ I believe this is the most current version. And yes, temp root won't get you far. Once you go full root, you will be glad you did!
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Are you following me? Haha!!

Lmao..apparently.

VanZandt

Reaction score
I used Z4 to root my X about a month ago, I downloaded from here
http://www.droid-life.com/2010/12/09/z4root-will-root-the-droid-x-2-3-340-update/ I believe this is the most current version. And yes, temp root won't get you far. Once you go full root, you will be glad you did!

Are you following me? Haha!!

Lmao..apparently.

Plus, I have to follow you to make sure you don't slack off and forget to theme my Pandora..lol, j/k

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Haha! Gonna finish it tomorrow (already started on it)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

oh I agree it works....but everytime I walk people through Z4 roots with DX's they get really nervous about the hanging. When I rooted my D2 with Z4 it took around 5 seconds if that. It works...but that hang makes people nervous.

Completely agree! I always make sure I tell them ahead of time that it may happen (usually does with 2.3.340) but that its not going to gift anything. Z4 rooted my D1 and the fiance's D2 with 0 hangups as well.

OP
really fascinating
Reaction score
Hang? it sat for 16 minutes then froze for another 5. That was on the temp option a bit worried about trying the full version now. I got my download from that link posted above but if I root and we get gingerbread ota will I be able to do it. I get the whole idea of root and what not but I still get a bit confused.