YouTube Has A Dark Theme...

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
HSxEQFUZzs_w8MIYjJ5C_Fw_DGUPJv-_5IYpFXPFonI.png

For those of you who prefer dark settings, YouTube has a well hidden Dark Mode.
To activate Dark Mode, follow these directions...

1. Open Google Chrome and sign into your YouTube account
  2. Open Chrome developer tools tab [Windows users press Ctrl + Shift + I, Mac users press Option + Cmd + I]
  3. Go to the Console tab and paste the following text:
    document.cookie="VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE=fPQ4jCL6EiE"
  4. Press enter
  5. Close developer tools and refresh the page.
  6. Click on your profile picture in the top right corner of the screen and select Dark Mode.
This should set Dark Mode for 1 year. If you wish to go back to the regular version of YouTube without Dark Mode you will need to clear the cookies from your browser.

Personally, I have not tried this.. let us know if it works..

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Didn't work here.
Error message in console: VM1653:1 Uncaught SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token

EDIT\ Found another site mentioning this and pasted the link and it worked. Strange? Maybe I copied a space in Jeffrey's or something?!?!
Looks good.

document.cookie="VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE=fPQ4jCL6EiE"

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
I wonder if this will just work on Chrome or once I activate with Chrome will it will stay active on all devices I use with YouTube. I'll have to give this a try when i get home.

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Weird... for reason I don't have the 3-dot youtube settings button in the Youtube top bar. Just Upload and Sign-in/User buttons.

EDIT:

Of course after doing the same thing 10 times at lunch...it works now after I've posted. doh!!

EDIT #2

While I can make it work, it doesn't seem to be persistent. If I close Chrome and re-start it's back to White mode with the old menu scheme. If I reset the cookie as above, it remembers the prior Dark Mode setting (ON) and immediately goes dark.

Last edited:

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Without mod yet requires a rooted phone and 3rd party app. People will do anything these days for clicks.

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
Without mod yet requires a rooted phone and 3rd party app. People will do anything these days for clicks.
I was thinking the same thing. Wonder what their definition of MOD is then if root isn't considered a MOD.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk