Your Fast Chargers Are Useless With The Nexus 5X and 6P

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

When Qualcomm announced Quick Charge 2.0 I like many of you went out and grabbed up lots of chargers. I have atleast 10 of these. Some of these are wall chargers, and I have a handful of car chargers. It has been confirmed that the Nexus 5X does not include Qualcomm's Quick Charge 2.0. This was surprising since it does include some sort of Quick charging with Google's 5v/3A output charger. I was kind of holding out hope that the my fast chargers would work.

Droid-Life has done some testing with various fast chargers on the Nexus 5X and 6P here is what they found:

• Samsung Fast Chargers(9V/1.67A): Will charge both the 6P and 5X, but won’t rapid charge either. Tested with a USB Type-C to USB A cable from Google.
  • Motorola “TurboPower 15”(5V/1.6A, 9V/1.6A, 12V/1.2A): Will charge both the 6P and 5X, but won’t rapid charge either. Tested with a USB Type-C to USB A cable from Google.
  • Motorola “TurboPower 25”(5V/2.85A, 9V/2.85A, 12V/2.15A): Won’t charge 5X at all. MicroUSB tip can’t be removed, so I tested with a USB Type-C adapter. (Couldn’t test on 6P.)
  • Aukey QC 2.0 Powerbank(5V/2.1A): Will charge both, but won’t rapid charge either.
  • OnePlus Adapter(5V/2A): Registers as “charging rapidly” on Nexus 6P. (Couldn’t test on 5X.)
  • Tronsmart Type-C car charger(5V/2.4A): Registers as “charging rapidly” on 5X. (Could’t tes ton 6P.)
Hopefully Google will come out with car chargers for these devices. Once you are used to having fast chargers everywhere it kind of stinks to know that I will only have one charger for my device!

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nexus devices always seem to miss something, don't they.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Glad I waited. Ordering oneplus adapter as soon as device is in my paws.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Glad I waited. Ordering oneplus adapter as soon as device is in my paws.
Think I may go that route as well. Although, I generally don't worry about fast charging. I turned it off on my Note 4 because I leave it plugged in all night anyway. No need to charge super fast when it has hours to do so.

One in the car might not be bad, but if I know I won't be home for a while, I bring the power brick &/or plug my phone in for the drive, even if it's almost or fully charged. That way I know it's topped off before I get to where I'm going.

The oneplus chargers seem like a good deal.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
These "quick charging" technologies destroy the life of our batteries in the long-term, right? I say who needs it. Charge your phone when you need to and plan accordingly :). Ruining the life of your non-removable battery seems silly to me. I understand in a phone where you can replace the battery at-will, but in that case, you can just get a battery charging cradle and second battery and never need to plug your phone in again.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
These "quick charging" technologies destroy the life of our batteries in the long-term, right? I say who needs it. Charge your phone when you need to and plan accordingly :). Ruining the life of your non-removable battery seems silly to me. I understand in a phone where you can replace the battery at-will, but in that case, you can just get a battery charging cradle and second battery and never need to plug your phone in again.

Is there any sort of substantial proof that this is legitimate? I understand the concern, but even after owning multiple quick charge 2.0 devices, I have yet to see my battery deplete on any of them at all. To be honest, the battery on my Nexus 6 has held up better than any other device's batteries I've owned in the past.