YotaPhone Officially Announced; Includes e-Ink Second Display on Back

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
YotaPhone_Official_White_Black-630x324.jpg

Today's smartphones have really come a long way with vibrant and colorful high resolution displays, but there's one area they still lack; in bright sunlight it can be next to impossible to read text on them. The YotaPhone was just announced and the unique design of this phone aims to fix that. The YotaPhone basically includes a secondary e-Ink reader display on the back of the device. This monochrome e-Ink display not only makes it easy to read in any lighting condition, it also simply makes it easier to simply read text since it appears just like a book, magazine or newspaper.

Both the main display and the e-Ink display are 4.3-inches. The regular LCD display has decent if not impressive specs with a 720p (1280 x 720) resolution. Here's a quick breakdown of the rest of the specs:
  • Dual Display - One 4.3-inch Color LCD 720P & One 4.3-inch Monochrome e-Ink rear display
  • 1.7GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 13MP camera
  • 1,800mAh battery
Here's a quote with some final details,

Developers will also be able to create apps for the second display using APIs from Yota Devices. The YotaPhone is available for pre-order in Austria, France, Spain, and Germany for €499 ($678) and will hit another 20 markets by the end of the 1st quarter 2014. It will also be available in Russia (Yota’s home market) starting tomorrow for a price of 19,990 Russian Rubles ($602).

What do you guys think of this intriguing concept?

Source: TalkAndroid

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Oh...now THAT's what I call innovation. I'd take that in a heartbeat. The best of both worlds...heck...just give us both worlds! Can't wait for e-ink in color!! :biggrin:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Agreed

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
E-ink uses such little power and given it's monochrome it requires very little processing power or RAM to store the images that it would be a huge enhancement at a very small expense in both real cost and cost in the form of battery power and performance. Also, it becomes a status page that can display 24/7 and give you constant and immediate access to all manner of information that doesn't require color. The more I think about it, the more I wonder why it's taken this long to come up with it.

Now make this in a 5" display version with 1080 display on the color side and you've got a winner - hands down.