The New YotaPhone 2 With Dual Displays, One E-Paper and One In Full Color!

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
yota-yotaphone-2-01.jpg

Yota has made some announcements this week, The New YotaPhone 2. As a successor to the previous YotaPhone, the YotaPhone 2 looks to be promising for lovers of hybrid devices, featuring two full displays, one color and one e-paper.The phone will make its way to Europe this month, with a worldwide release planned for early next year. That's a bit later than the final-quarter timeline offered earlier this year, but it's better than nothing.

The Specs are:
  • 5″ FHD AMOLED color display
  • 4.7″ always-on E-paper display
  • Snapdragon 800 processor
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 32GB of storage
  • Android 4.4
  • 8MP rear-facing camera
  • 2.1MP front-facing camera
  • Bluetooth 4.0
  • NFC
  • Gorilla Glass 3
  • 2,500mAh battery

Would you Purchase this Phone?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB

Gremlin

Reaction score
It is coming to US next year from other sites..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
yota-yotaphone-2-01.jpg

The Specs are:
  • 5″ FHD AMOLED color display
  • 4.7″ always-on E-paper display
  • Snapdragon 800 processor
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 32GB of storage
  • Android 4.4
  • 8MP rear-facing camera
  • 2.1MP front-facing camera
  • Bluetooth 4.0
  • NFC
  • Gorilla Glass 3
  • 2,500mAh battery

It's gorgeous and what an innovation. I would have one of these in a heartbeat. The only specs that would keep me from buying this phone are the Snapdragon 800 (rather 805 or possibly 810), the 2GB of ram (should be at least 3 if not 4 at this point), and the moderate 2,500mAh battery size. Although having the low-power E-paper display on full time would probably alleviate a lot of the use of the full color LED screen, there by consuming considerably less power, I still think that size battery is just on the edge of serviceable for the typical person to get through a day.

Frankly I don't know why other major manufacturers haven't come up with this idea sooner. Sony would be perfect for it on the Z3V as the back and front are both flat glass.

Last edited:

Gremlin

Reaction score
According to Engadget, battery life is not that great

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
I just saw All About Android showing off this phone. At first I was like, "This is awesome!" Then I was like, "Wait...this might be the ultimate butt dial phone!"

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Not surprised given the battery size.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure it has anything to do with the battery size. It has a 5" Amoled screen so that battery should do just fine.

I'm betting it has to do with the ink screen being refreshed too much. Ink displays always tout great battery life as e-readers since the display is only refreshing when you flip the page. This display is updating various apps too frequently and that is not a good thing for ink screens.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't get the need for 2 screens. Moto has that pretty well covered with just one screen in the way they've done it.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm not sure it has anything to do with the battery size. It has a 5" Amoled screen so that battery should do just fine.

I'm betting it has to do with the ink screen being refreshed too much. Ink displays always tout great battery life as e-readers since the display is only refreshing when you flip the page. This display is updating various apps too frequently and that is not a good thing for ink screens.
Interesting. I didn't realize that as a result of the refreshes or redraws the e-ink actually uses more power than when in a static state. So what you say makes sense since the screen in the example it's showing data that would be pretty actively changing.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I don't get the need for 2 screens. Moto has that pretty well covered with just one screen in the way they've done it.
I do tend to agree to some extent however the amount and detail of information on the e-ink screen is far greater than the active displays.