YotaPhone 2 Gets a Teardown at the US FCC

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
yotaphone2-fcc-teardown.jpg

What you see above is a tear-down image of the new dual-screen YotaPhone 2. It just passed through its FCC certification testing. As we shared with you guys previously here, the YotaPhone 2, complete with a regular SuperAMOLED display on one side, and an e-ink display on the other side, will be heading to US shores. The FCC testing puts it one step closer to that reality.

yotaphone-2-fcc-1-800x420.jpg

While the internal specs aren't the most cutting edge, the dual-screen is obviously the stand-out feature of this device. With a 5-inch Full HD AMOLED display on one side and a 4.7-inch 960x540 e-ink screen on the other, users get the best of all worlds when it comes to digital displays. That second screen will actually be more than a gimmick too. Besides it simply being easier to read outdoors in direct sunlight, it will offer several options to use that feature more effectively as well. Here's a quote,

The e-paper display (EPD) can be used even for content that changes regularly over time, like notifications or social media feeds. Yota, the company making the phone, is even providing what it calls YotaPanels for putting in widgets that are designed specifically for the EPD screen. The YotaPhone 2 has a few widgets already built-in, like Counter, Messages, Email, Calendar, and whatnot, though it is conceivable that Yota will be opening up that space to third party developers.

This device keeps getting better and better. What do you folks think?

Source: YotaPhone 2 gets the teardown treatment at FCC - SlashGear

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'll be watching this one for sure. With device displays pushing the envelope for resolution and therefore consuming more battery, something like this could really have a shot at taking off as an alternative to a smartwatch.

I've noticed better battery life on my Note 4 on the days that I handle more notifications from my g watch than turning the screen on.

This low-power e-ink display will give easy, quick access to notifications and other important information without having to fire up the more battery hungry display on the other side nearly as often.

Would love to get to play with one if even only for a little while.

I thought the first one was a pretty cool idea, so I'm glad to see they're moving ahead and improving on the idea as well as bringing it to the states.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
This low-power e-ink display will give easy, quick access to notifications and other important information without having to fire up the more battery hungry display on the other side nearly as often.

Exactly and you also don't have to waste money on a Kindle for reading unless you need the bigger screen.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Exactly and you also don't have to waste money on a Kindle for reading unless you need the bigger screen.
I suppose if I ever had a e-ink reader, I'd be inclined to agree, but I do the bulk of my "real" reading of books on my nexus 7, so that's not the biggest appeal to me, but if you're going to read on a phone, this is definitely a great phone to have.

Although, I also do the bulk of my real reading at night, which makes my tablet perfect. I watched a review video on the Yota2 and that e-ink screen has no backlight, so you'll be using a lamp or other light source to actually be able to use it, as it needs light to reflect off of it for you to actually be able to see it.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
I suppose if I ever had a e-ink reader, I'd be inclined to agree, but I do the bulk of my "real" reading of books on my nexus 7, so that's not the biggest appeal to me, but if you're going to read on a phone, this is definitely a great phone to have.

Although, I also do the bulk of my real reading at night, which makes my tablet perfect. I watched a review video on the Yota2 and that e-ink screen has no backlight, so you'll be using a lamp or other light source to actually be able to use it, as it needs light to reflect off of it for you to actually be able to see it.

That's true and I'm the same way until my son steals it from me to watch Sesame Street! Then I just break down and get out a paperback.

About night reading, I actually didn't think of that but it's true. I guess that's when you flip over to the front. Which leads me to think when are they going to make a tablet version?!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
e-Ink offers tremendous flexibility. I can definitely see getting by with e-ink for most of my daily tasks and reserving the high resolution color lit display for only web browsing and pictures/video. In fact, for business, e-ink is great. I get a lot of client's text-based documents sent to me in PDF and if I could see them in e-ink I'm sure they'd be easier to read than they often are with the actual AMOLED display.

Even viewing pictures in e-ink will lend an unique experience, since the contrast will shine and color is gone as a distraction. This is why Black and White photos still carry a tremendous weight in advertising and also in archival photos. Detail is lost when color is added that jumps out in monochrome.

The battery life will certainly benefit from this as well. Who needs Active Display from Motorola when you have a LIVE display that eats less power?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
It's certainly an interesting concept. I'm looking forward to the early reviews. Though, I don't think i will be adding this unit to my "next device" list.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Check YouTube. Android authority has a pretty comprehensive review & there are some other quick hands on reviews.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
It's certainly an interesting concept. I'm looking forward to the early reviews. Though, I don't think i will be adding this unit to my "next device" list.
I think I agree with this.. ^^^