yes i am...

dro-idiot

Reaction score
... for thinking that a smart phone would be just that.

hello folks, new droid owner and an overwhelmed forum newbie. (somewhat) love my new phone, of course anything would be better than what i came from (bb nextel curve), but am less than thrilled about what i consider to be the thing it should do the best, making phone calls. so many steps just to get this thing to ring is baffling. but wait, before you get your bic lighters and hair spry out, i did read, and read, and read. tried a few apps (fast call seemed the best) but still too many steps. not going to use voice dial so forget that, tried google bar but still have to type, select, then call, fast call can only select by letter then must scroll through, and you can oly create so many direct dial icons. honestly i have about 30-40 people i call daily (for work). not including my family. on my bb i just hit a few letters of the contact then ph button- ring, ring. droid- power, slide, ph, letter, scroll, select, dial, ring. is this how phone life is with the droid or am i missing something? thanks in advance for any help and please go easy on me. i never claimed to be the sharpest marble in the bag, thus the name, but i did THINK about staying at a holiday inn express once!

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

hello folks, new droid owner and an overwhelmed forum newbie. (somewhat) love my new phone, of course anything would be better than what i came from (bb nextel curve), but am less than thrilled about what i consider to be the thing it should do the best, making phone calls. so many steps just to get this thing to ring is baffling. but wait, before you get your bic lighters and hair spry out, i did read, and read, and read. tried a few apps (fast call seemed the best) but still too many steps. not going to use voice dial so forget that, tried google bar but still have to type, select, then call, fast call can only select by letter then must scroll through, and you can oly create so many direct dial icons. honestly i have about 30-40 people i call daily (for work). not including my family. on my bb i just hit a few letters of the contact then ph button- ring, ring. droid- power, slide, ph, letter, scroll, select, dial, ring. is this how phone life is with the droid or am i missing something? thanks in advance for any help and please go easy on me. i never claimed to be the sharpest marble in the bag, thus the name, but i did THINK about staying at a holiday inn express once!

Welcome to the forum, dro-idiot! Try making the people you call Favorites in your contacts. Or have you done that already? I also love Gesture Search for this. You can set it to only search your contacts and you draw the first couple of letters right on the Droid and it brings up applicable contacts. See if that helps.

:welcome:

kaboyd

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. you may consider putting your numbers you call most often into a folder on your home screen. That will allow you to get to them in one step. No matter what you do it's at least a three step process to make a call. There may be a quick dial app that will suit your needs.

OP
D

dro-idiot

Reaction score
mahalo

Welcome to the forum, dro-idiot! Try making the people you call Favorites in your contacts. Or have you done that already? I also love Gesture Search for this. You can set it to only search your contacts and you draw the first couple of letters right on the Droid and it brings up applicable contacts. See if that helps.

:welcome:

what will making everyone favorites do? gesture looks intersting. i'll try it. thanks.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just another way to call. Phone, Favorites, dial. That's all. Gesture Search is great though!

OP
D

dro-idiot

Reaction score
mahalo

Welcome to the forum. you may consider putting your numbers you call most often into a folder on your home screen. That will allow you to get to them in one step. No matter what you do it's at least a three step process to make a call. There may be a quick dial app that will suit your needs.

it is what it is. i'll have to see how many will fit in the folder. if it's not enough, then it probably won't work but thanks for the help.

watersrules

Reaction score
that was my biggest gripe dro-idiot... I came from the Storm.. adding to Favorites saves a tap or 2, the folder on the homescreen can help too... unfortunately I think its an "it is what it is" sort of thing.

OP
D

dro-idiot

Reaction score
gesture and mylock

tried gesture search and it was fun showing my kids what dad's new phone could do (it's actually pretty neat) but in the end, when i realistically try to use it, it's fairly difficult to get it to do what i want it to do. first letter is fine but when you write multiple letters it pulls up all kinds of crazy crap. i'm sure it'll take some getting used to and being able to write the letters more consistantly will help. also installed mylock which i think is great. saves a step since you don't need to swipe. actually would rather swipe than press the power button. is there a way do keep the phone on the swipe screen and not power off? i know about the battery issues but i usually keep myself surrounded with power supplies, desk charger, car charger, home charger and extra battery. the swipe screen would prevent me from hitting any unwanted buttons and to me is easier than pressing the power button which feels awkward. any thoughts?

thanks for all the help and remember, "if you're not first, you're last."

lterry913

Reaction score
or perhaps use shortcuts, direct dial, for most frequently called, panda home has slide out bars that will accomodate many direct dials and direct messaging from and home screen you are on... haven't tried to see how many is max but you can fit alot on each bar if you make sidebars as wide as possible...i have one side for direct dial and one side for direct message.

Last edited: