Yahoo mail issue after ICS

nri1998

Reaction score
Before upgrade to ICS yesterday, I was able to see all custom folders in my Yahoo email application that came built-in with Ginger Bread. Now, they are gone. I tried to remove my account and add it few times but I cannot see the custom folders anymore. I only see the standard inbox, sent, outbox and trash folders. Did anyone notice this? Can someone please advice if I am doing something wrong? I checked the setting multiple times but I cannot see the custom folders that we create on a desktop Yahoo mail.

TonyBoD

Reaction score
Before upgrade to ICS yesterday, I was able to see all custom folders in my Yahoo email application that came built-in with Ginger Bread. Now, they are gone. I tried to remove my account and add it few times but I cannot see the custom folders anymore. I only see the standard inbox, sent, outbox and trash folders. Did anyone notice this? Can someone please advice if I am doing something wrong? I checked the setting multiple times but I cannot see the custom folders that we create on a desktop Yahoo mail.

Saw the same thing and posted about it - not sure how to change this (hope we can). Worst part is that EVERYTHING goes to inbox!

OP
N

nri1998

Reaction score
Saw the same thing and posted about it - not sure how to change this (hope we can). Worst part is that EVERYTHING goes to inbox!

I might be wrong but I also noticed that the fetching frequency was increased to a minimum of 15 min. now. I can't believe they messed up with a nice feature like custom folders. Don't know if it is a ICS issue or Yahoo application issue?

1) Is there a way to contact Yahoo and see if they can fix this new issue?
2) Are there any paid email applications that show all the custom folders? I don't mind paying one time and downloading the application. Please advice.

TonyBoD

Reaction score
Yahoo! Mail App

I have a Yahoo! Mail app I got in the marketplace - it has everything but it is not push - you have to go in and check for new mail. I may do that - I can't stand that I get all of my mails pushed to me, even folders I don't want remotely.

OP
N

nri1998

Reaction score
I have a Yahoo! Mail app I got in the marketplace - it has everything but it is not push - you have to go in and check for new mail. I may do that - I can't stand that I get all of my mails pushed to me, even folders I don't want remotely.

Do you think a factory reset of the phone might help? I already did the system cache clean right after ICS installation.

TonyBoD

Reaction score
Do you think a factory reset of the phone might help? I already did the system cache clean right after ICS installation.

It doesn't look like anything we can control - I think it is Verizon.

As far as I can tell, when you setup your Yahoo! mail account in ICS it actually now goes through Verizon somehow - I got an e-mail from Verizon saying my Yahoo! mail account had now been setup [shudder].

I think we are now syncing to Verizon which in turn pulls from Yahoo! and that connection between Verizon and Yahoo! doesn't bother to pull any info about custom folders - it also pulls everything from custom folders into the inbox. in time it might change, but it is ugly now. Also not a fan of having all of this go through Verizon now - as if we weren't slaves to the carrier anyway....

OP
N

nri1998

Reaction score
It doesn't look like anything we can control - I think it is Verizon.

As far as I can tell, when you setup your Yahoo! mail account in ICS it actually now goes through Verizon somehow - I got an e-mail from Verizon saying my Yahoo! mail account had now been setup [shudder].

I think we are now syncing to Verizon which in turn pulls from Yahoo! and that connection between Verizon and Yahoo! doesn't bother to pull any info about custom folders - it also pulls everything from custom folders into the inbox. in time it might change, but it is ugly now. Also not a fan of having all of this go through Verizon now - as if we weren't slaves to the carrier anyway....

I also noticed these messages from Verizon after completing the Yahoo email setup process. It wasn't like that before.

OP
N

nri1998

Reaction score
That's odd. I have the option to see all folders in yahoo mail through the stock email app

I am not familiar with stock email appl. Could you please advice with few steps. Stock email means the "other" under add email accounts?

It is very important for me. I used Yahoo icon appl as well as the "other" email application under "my accounts", add account settings. Both didn't work.

cpgrl

Reaction score
No Sync or No Folders?

I've had the same problem noted above since yesterday. When you select the Yahoo option to add your account (via the stock app), it pulls *ALL* of your emails into the same inbox. (Seriously. Is this like 1998?) You have the standard folders (inbox, sent, trash) available to you, but the custom folders are not imported and synced.

Conversely, the other alternative is to manually add the Yahoo account (select "Other" when prompted to choose). It took me the better half of the afternoon to even find the correct settings online so that it would connect, but I finally figured it out. (Incoming: imap.mail.yahoo.com // 993 // SSL/TLS // Auto Outgoing: imap.mail.yahoo.com // 465 // SSL/TLS) After the lengthy sync process finished I was excited to see the custom folders, but I can't get Yahoo sync when configured that way. (Yes, sync was turned on and set to pull every 15 minutes).

I'm fine with the fact that Yahoo doesn't push the emails; that was the case with Gingerbread. But I can't deal with no sync whatsoever.

So now I feel like I'm stuck choosing between the lesser of two evils - no sync or no folders. Would gladly take any suggestions.!

That's odd. I have the option to see all folders in yahoo mail through the stock email app

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
I am not familiar with stock email appl. Could you please advice with few steps. Stock email means the "other" under add email accounts?

It is very important for me. I used Yahoo icon appl as well as the "other" email application under "my accounts", add account settings. Both didn't work.

1. Go to Accounts & Sync
2. Tap Add Account
3. Tap Email
4. Tap OTHER
5. Add your email address and password
6. Give it 20 minutes or so to to fully sync.

After it syncs up go to the stock email app, tap the icon at the top left "Inbox - Yahoo" and go to Show All Folders.

OP
N

nri1998

Reaction score
1. Go to Accounts & Sync
2. Tap Add Account
3. Tap Email
4. Tap OTHER
5. Add your email address and password
6. Give it 20 minutes or so to to fully sync.

After it syncs up go to the stock email app, tap the icon at the top left "Inbox - Yahoo" and go to Show All Folders.

That's what I did but not working for me. So I did a factory reset of the my phone just now and finished the setup. Yet, the custom folders don't show up. I only see the standard system folders like Inbox, sent, outbox and trash etc.

OP
N

nri1998

Reaction score
I've had the same problem noted above since yesterday. When you select the Yahoo option to add your account (via the stock app), it pulls *ALL* of your emails into the same inbox. (Seriously. Is this like 1998?) You have the standard folders (inbox, sent, trash) available to you, but the custom folders are not imported and synced.

Conversely, the other alternative is to manually add the Yahoo account (select "Other" when prompted to choose). It took me the better half of the afternoon to even find the correct settings online so that it would connect, but I finally figured it out. (Incoming: imap.mail.yahoo.com // 993 // SSL/TLS // Auto Outgoing: imap.mail.yahoo.com // 465 // SSL/TLS) After the lengthy sync process finished I was excited to see the custom folders, but I can't get Yahoo sync when configured that way. (Yes, sync was turned on and set to pull every 15 minutes).

I'm fine with the fact that Yahoo doesn't push the emails; that was the case with Gingerbread. But I can't deal with no sync whatsoever.

So now I feel like I'm stuck choosing between the lesser of two evils - no sync or no folders. Would gladly take any suggestions.!

Looks like your suggestion worked. One minor correction though. Outgoing server should be smtp.mail.yahoo.com // 465 // SSL/TLS. I see my folders now. Have to see how good it is in fetching the mails. I am not that worried about the push if this works. Thanks a lot.

jetguat

Reaction score

I've had the same problems. Then I tried another approach. I removed the account. When I went to add the account,
rather than selecting Yahoo! I selected the general email account. It asked for email, password. then it still automatically sets things up.
but if you do it this way, and select the option to show other folders you do get the custom folders.

Once thing I've noticed that I do use alot is that once you read an email, I cannot find how to mark it "unread" again.
I like to do that on a shared email account so my wife can read. I've not found a trick to work around that.

Anyone else?

ldubs

Reaction score
Get MailDroid. I've used it for years. True imap folders and true push email. It works flawlessly.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2