XP won't recognize Droid Bionic as device

mercarus2

Reaction score
I am having trouble getting my windows XP computer to recognize my new Droid Bionic. I get the "USB Device not Recognized" error message. I tried installing the motorola utility/drivers from their website without much luck.

Thanks!

cbushnell

Reaction score
This may sound really silly but it worked for me and others, in my case it was the for Moto Xoom. Download Windows Media Player 11, I must have messed around with the utility/drivers for a couple of hours before I finally tried the Media Player solution.

homesick

Reaction score
same problem here.
running windows 7 i plug my droid 2 in and it instantly picks it up. but it will not recognize my bionic. any suggestions?

chris420o

Reaction score
yeah i was pissed this morning trying to transfer stuff from my og to my bionic throught he comp and it wouldnt recognize my bionic i was like wtf...but possibly if you put usb debugging in setting u think? i cant try im at work if someone can let us know be nice

homesick

Reaction score
yeah i was pissed this morning trying to transfer stuff from my og to my bionic throught he comp and it wouldnt recognize my bionic i was like wtf...but possibly if you put usb debugging in setting u think? i cant try im at work if someone can let us know be nice

yea USB debugging is enabled and still wont recognize my phone

it does charge my phone when I plug it in though.

OP
M

mercarus2

Reaction score
It is picking up on my Windows 7 box at work but not on my XP box on home

crimattyple

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. Using XP. When I first got the phone and hooked it to the computer it DID recognize the phone, but didn't see the sdcard or other files on the phone.
Unplugged the phone. Tried again and now it doesn't recognize the phone. Tried turning phone on and off; took out battery; no luck.

Any other ideas are appreciated.

Thanks.

Peter

gnome45

Reaction score
it's the usb cable. You have to use the one that came with your bionic. I tried the one from my OG droid on 2 PCs and it wouldn't recognize either of them. When I used the new cable it worked.

CoreyT

Reaction score
Oh for petes sake, a cable?
The cable that comes with the 110v charger and you can unplug the cable from it?
I left that at work for emergency charging.

At work I have Windows XP on my PC, and I am using an old cable, and it detects the phone just fine.
Here at home today (got the phone a week ago Friday) I plugged the phone in to transfer some pictures over, and it is only charging.

Why would the USB cable make a difference?

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Not ask USB cables are created equal, yes really, lol... I'm beginning to wonder if moto has floored in an Easter egg... Perhaps the plug is actually USB 3.0 and older USB cables just are not cutting it...
Food for thought...
Another rumored bonus is the bionic BT is 3.0 hardware just not enabled yet... Patch to follow...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

threecatranch

Reaction score
I can't get it to recognize my bionic either, even with the original cable. And trying to download motorola driver software 5.2 isn't working either- won't install on my vista p.c.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

godfothr69

Reaction score
Computer not recognizing the USB

Thanks Gnome, I tried the cable that came with my bionic and it worked. I've benn trying to trouble shoot this for a week now. Thanks to you it's working now.