Xoom rotation and Wifi only version

gquiring

Reaction score
I went to Best Buy today and used the Xoom for about 20 minutes. Overall I like it, I also have experience on the iPad. I don't know the Android interface as I have an iPhone. Overall I have always felt the iPad is just too simple. The lack of a notification tray and the Safari browser has kept me from buying one. Also the Apple app restrictions will never change.

The Xoom was fast, smooth and I did not have much issue navigating around. But my one gripe was rotating the device. I had seen someone else comment on the issue and it's terrible. It takes around 7 seconds for it to sense any movement and in some cases it just never rotates. Does anyone know if that is hardware problem with the Xoom or a software issue?

I am interested in the WiFi only version. I saw comments today on Engadget that SamsClub has them for $540. Does anyone know if the WiFi version has GPS? I am going to assume no since the GPS chip seems to be embedded with the 3G chipsets.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/17/motorola-posts-specs-for-gsm-and-wifi-only-xoom-indentical-to-o/

Apparently yes, the wi-fi only model supports gps dancedroid

Did you play any game demos that used the tilt sensor to control? If the game is responsive then I'd have to say it is an issue with android 3.0, not the sensor.

I found that on my phone, running droid 2.2, the screen checks for it's position roughly 5 times a second, and usually can re-orient itself within 1-2 secs.

Has anybody popped alogcat to their xoom lol?

OP
G

gquiring

Reaction score
Did you play any game demos that used the tilt sensor to control? If the game is responsive then I'd have to say it is an issue with android 3.0, not the sensor.

I found that on my phone, running droid 2.2, the screen checks for it's position roughly 5 times a second, and usually can re-orient itself within 1-2 secs.

Has anybody popped alogcat to their xoom lol?
Yeah I didn't try any games. I spent most of my time in the browser and playing with the Market stuff. Best Buy's internet speeds sucked, so installing apps from the Market was very time consuming. What would be a small download in the Market store that is free to test the sensor? I would like to go back to BB and try it.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I couldnt tell ya, I dont ever use it for games or anything else but auto-orient.

Also, reread my first post :)

17akota

Reaction score
Well I just bought one today after playing with it for about 5 mins. I have a droid x so I know my way around android, but 3.0 is definitely different. But I have not had the problem your talking about. I flip mine all ways and it seems to do it within 5 seconds anyway I go. It also may have to do with the overclock I have but before I did it I still found it very responsive. I would recommend it way over the ipad and the ipad 2.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

OP
G

gquiring

Reaction score
Well I just bought one today after playing with it for about 5 mins. I have a droid x so I know my way around android, but 3.0 is definitely different. But I have not had the problem your talking about. I flip mine all ways and it seems to do it within 5 seconds anyway I go. It also may have to do with the overclock I have but before I did it I still found it very responsive. I would recommend it way over the ipad and the ipad 2.

Even 5 seconds is not great. Have you tried any motion sensing games?

Droid annoymous

Reaction score
I want a.xoom for free or altleast a cheap one

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

WillC

Reaction score
My xoom rotates in under a second every single time. Not sure why its taking 5+ seconds for you guys...

Same thing for me, 1-1.5 seconds per rotation. 2 seconds on the desktop if I'm running a live wallpaper.

Techsniffer

Reaction score
My Xoom rotates in within 1 second (2 max) and in games that use tilt/rotation have all been very responsive and the few flaws I had in the games were with the game itself not the Xoom.

OP
G

gquiring

Reaction score
I wonder if the rotation issue is related to store demos because they have a tether security cord on them that is very stiff. Maybe it dampens the sensor?

Cardini

Reaction score
My xoom rotates in under a second every single time. Not sure why its taking 5+ seconds for you guys...

Same thing for me, 1-1.5 seconds per rotation. 2 seconds on the desktop if I'm running a live wallpaper.

Same for me - very fast, but not as fast as my Wife's Ipad.