Xoom Release Date

ghoticov

Reaction score
I just saw this too... curious to see if they stick to the $799 price tag.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Best buy will be selling it for 699.99. Still pretty high to me though.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
699 through best buy. I will guarantee this thing flops. People should by a laptop instead junk made by moto. I wish all the worst to moto.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can I design web pages, and use high end programs like photoshop, indesign, dreamweaver and flash on the xoom or ipad. No. But I can buy a laptop for less that can run these high end programs, and more! Xoom=Fail.

h1br1d7heory

Reaction score
Can I design web pages, and use high end programs like photoshop, indesign, dreamweaver and flash on the xoom or ipad. No. But I can buy a laptop for less that can run these high end programs, and more! Xoom=Fail.

Oh so you're comparing a FULL COMPUTER to a TABLET! I'm sorry I misunderstood. The tablet was designed for one thing: Mobility. So people can ACCESS the web and some quick applications on the go. It is NOT intended to REPLACE a COMPUTER. Besides, no one says you need to buy one. But understand the uses before you dis a product.

ghoticov

Reaction score
I just wish they would release a WIFI version at the same time they release the 3G version. A WII/16gig version for about $450.... SOLD.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score

Oh so you're comparing a FULL COMPUTER to a TABLET! I'm sorry I misunderstood. The tablet was designed for one thing: Mobility. So people can ACCESS the web and some quick applications on the go. It is NOT intended to REPLACE a COMPUTER. Besides, no one says you need to buy one. But understand the uses before you dis a product.

Sorry, I am not trying to bring any negativity here. If people want to by a Xoom go ahead, I apologize. I just think these companies are ripping us off with these tablet prices. Also Moto has left a bad taste in my mouth. Mobility to access the web and quick applications, you can do that with any lower priced smart phone, or better priced tablet out today. I have a rooted nook color and it is just as capable as a lot of these tablets. It was only $250 and is a top tier tablet. Dual core and Honeycomb are good selling points but not for $799. Remember it will also have a locked bootloader.

ckeegan

Reaction score
So, everyone is OK in paying about $920 ($200 + data at $29.99/mo) over two years for a smartphone, or $550-600 for the phone itself with no contract, but you're not OK with spending $700-800 for a Xoom with no contract? Yeah, that makes A LOT of sense.

Whatever, I hope the 2/17 date sticks, since I'm getting one on launch day.

ckeegan

Reaction score
You still have to pay data for the Xoom though.
No you don't.

Unless of course Verizon decides to require a data contract on the Xoom, even though they don't require one for any data-only products, other than USB modems. They don't even offer the option for a data contract on the Galaxy Tab or iPad/Mi-Fi.

You could walk into a Verizon store right now, pay $499 for the Galaxy Tab, plus $20 for the first month of a 1GB tablet plan, go out to your car, call Verizon to cancel the data plan, and use Wi-Fi only on your Galaxy Tab for the rest of eternity.

Last edited:

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
True but why pay for a feature you'd never use? I said you still have to pay for the data because I would think the only reason to buy it from Verizon would be so you could access data. If you're going to use it as Wifi only then you may as well wait and get the Wifi only version. It'll almost definitely be cheaper.

ckeegan

Reaction score
True but why pay for a feature you'd never use? I said you still have to pay for the data because I would think the only reason to buy it from Verizon would be so you could access data. If you're going to use it as Wifi only then you may as well wait and get the Wifi only version. It'll almost definitely be cheaper.

If the Wi-Fi only version makes it to the US anytime soon, it may be cheaper, but Motorola has increased costs associated with marketing/selling/distributing a Wi-Fi only version. Those costs would far outweigh the cost of a 3G or LTE radio. Motorola partnered with Verizon for the marketing, and distribution channels.

Does anyone really think that Verizon is going to allow Motorola to release a Wi-Fi only version (especially at a lower cost) of the Xoom in the US? My guess would be 3rd quarter at the absolute earliest, given the probability of an exclusivity agreement between Moto and Verizon.

The only reason the Wi-Fi only iPad is cheaper is because Apple wouldn't let AT&T brand the 3G model, so Apple decided to control the costs themselves (big surprise). Obviously Moto didn't choose the same route.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I definitely want one of these but I'm hearing compared to what it's truly capable of it's being crippled and it's not Moto's fault. I kinda want to see what the devs do before I drop 700 bucks on this.

Last edited: