[Updated] Motorola XOOM Available in February and Should Get LTE Upgrade in Q2

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
xoom-tablet.jpg

The Motorola XOOM Tablet should start showing up in Verizon stores in Q1 of this year. We've shared some info about the dual-core chip and Honeycomb powered XOOM previously, here, but here are some juicier details. The XOOM will come with the following specs:
  • 10.1-inch 1280×800 resolution display
  • Dual-core chip with 2 GHz of total processing power
  • 2MP front facing camera
  • 5MP rear camera which records in 720P
  • Built in accelerometer
Initially the XOOM will be a 3G/WiFi device, but will be upgradable to 4G LTE in Q2. For Motorola's official press release and site demo click the source below.

[Update] Motorola’s Sanjay Jha announced that the Honeycomb-running Motorola XOOM tablet will be available in February. (Update Source: Phandroid)

Source: Motorola via Talkandroid
by dgstorm

Last edited:

soulpatch

Reaction score
I really wish they would have made a wifi only version of this. I go to very limited placed where I am not in wifi. I have no need for the 3G contract or capabilities...

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I'm all over a WiFi only version. If they release one I will be where ever I have to be first thing in the morning to buy one. Like a lot of people, I'm just going to tether it to whatever 4G phone I get, so I don't need or want a 3G or 4G tablet.

My contract is up in June on my Droid X so I'm definitely getting the best rootable 4G device I can.

The only thing that worries me about the MotoXoom is that I don't see any mention of GPS capabilities anywhere.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
2Ghz wow that's fast for a dualcore processor. Thats actually as fast as my four year old laptop, and its a dual core as well. The first dual core phones will only be 1Ghz.
This will make it more than worth while.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
2Ghz wow that's fast for a dualcore processor. Thats actually as fast as my four year old laptop, and its a dual core as well. The first dual core phones will only be 1Ghz.

Hell yes, couldn't agree more.. But like those above, a wifi only would be great as well. And February??? I better start saving....

Hope it doesn't have a locked bootloader.. I'd love to throw some custom roms on there too

Detonation

Reaction score

It says "total processing power" of 2GHz, which leads me to believe its actually a 1GHz dual core and the person who wrote that does not understand that a 1GHz Dual Core Processor does not equal 2GHz...

yurdle

Reaction score

It says "total processing power" of 2GHz, which leads me to believe its actually a 1GHz dual core and the person who wrote that does not understand that a 1GHz Dual Core Processor does not equal 2GHz...

I believe thats exactly what happened lol.
The processor is only a 1GHz Dual core. so 2 cores running at 1GHz each .. not 2 cores running at 2GHz each.... that would be insane and probably unnecessary at this point lol

EgooEspada

Reaction score
Well, I'm totally buying this in February. Then I hope to upgrade in March to the LG phone.

ArrTooDeeToo

Reaction score
Enough with the rehashing of specs. We all want to know 1. Price 2. Do I have to alter my contract, and 3. Is it stock Honeycomb that I can customize the UI on? Also, please no bootloaders!

EgooEspada

Reaction score
Enough with the rehashing of specs. We all want to know 1. Price 2. Do I have to alter my contract, and 3. Is it stock Honeycomb that I can customize the UI on? Also, please no bootloaders!

I'm not sure about price, but I believe it will be available contract free, like all their tablets. It will be stock Honeycomb and most likely will have an unlocked bootloader thanks to Google role in this.

ArrTooDeeToo

Reaction score
I set back $ to buy a honeycomb tablet, so if this will be like the "nexus one" of android tablets, I'm definitely going to get it. My main concern is VZW's influence on it. I will make my decision once I hear a final official word on the above stated concerns, but if everything looks good on paper, I'll be all over this like a hobo on a ham sandwich!

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Oops I might have spoken to soon.
Why can't people under stand that a dual core CPU clocled at 1Ghz is a 1Ghz processor. Its NOT 1Ghz from one core #1 plus 1Ghz from core #2 equals 2Ghz total.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App.

1.)http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...-dummies-guide-android-terminoligy-lingo.html
2.)http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/70875-what-you-need-know-about-rooting.html
3.)http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...08-multiple-phones-root-them-unroot-them.html