X reboots while watching stored videos:

Pilot145

Reaction score
Symptoms:

Within 5 or so minutes of watching videos stored on memory, the first symptom is that I can not stop the video or view progress, etc. If I touch the screen, the video just continues. The phone will not respond to touching home/back/power buttons, either. Then, after a couple of minutes of this, the screen stays lit, but blank, for about 10 seconds, and then the phone reboots.

This is not limited to any one video style. I've also tried it having the bluetooth streaming for audio and with just earbuds installed.

Though I had not installed any new apps recently, per suggestions on other forums, I removed Pandora to no avail.

I tried battery pulls, wiped the cache, updating "roaming capabilities", and task killer.

I've also had two instances recently where the phone freezes within 5 minutes of booting and the only way to resolve it is to just leave the phone alone for an hour or so.

There was a system update a couple of weeks ago, and I'm wondering if this is the culprit.

Suggestions?

leftspin

Reaction score
Sometimes stuff gets messed up when you do a system update and keep your user data, as the user data was for the old system and sometimes the new system is slightly incompatible. Lots of people were having similar problems to this when they first update from Froyo to Gingerbread because of this. I would recommend doing a factory data reset, which will basically erase all of your data and set the phone back to the way it was when it was brand new (but with the new system update, it won't revert it back to the old system).

This will cause you to lose all of your apps/contacts, but all of that can be backed up before doing the reset and then restored afterwards. Verizon has a tool called backup assistant to backup your contacts. Play Store should automatically backup your apps and then re download them after the reset, but double check your settings in the Play Store just to be sure.

DROID X - Factory Data Reset

OP
Pilot145

Pilot145

Reaction score
Figured it out:

I've actually had this "fix" solve some other issues I've had in the past, so it's becoming my default "try first" fix:

Go into Applications --> Manage Applications --> All --> Media Storage

Select "Clear Data", then reboot.

This makes your phone "forget" what pictures, videos, sounds, ringtones, etc, you had stored. It doesn't erase them, it just makes your phone forget what it knew about them.

The phone will take several minutes (maybe 10 or more if you have a large library) to rebuild thumbnails, playlists, etc. Again, everything's still there, the phone just needs to re-remember what it knew about them. Also, customized ringtones may need to be reassigned to their respective contacts.

But after doing this, the problem went away and I can play/stream video/audio now without it locking up or rebooting.

This worked as well for a problem I had in the past where thumbnails remained after pictures were deleted, not allowing me to delete the stuck thumbnail.