WTF my SD card just deleted itself:(

jonnhatch

Reaction score
I picked up my droid x last night, and while i was looking at it, a message read "unmounting sd card", and i wasnt even doing anything with it, just holding it. After that, it acted like it was re-mounting the sd card, then i get a message saying "blank sd card: SD card blank or has unsupported filesystem", and has an icon in my notification bar of an sd card with a yellow "!" sign over it.

When i press the notification, it says "Are you sure you want to format the SD card? All data on your card will be lost." When i hit cancel and browse through my phone, all my pics vids music, EVERYTHING is completely gone. What freaking happened? I had everything on there. Is there anyway to recover it? When i plug my sd card into my computer, it doesnt even show up now. am extremely upset.

cpjr

Reaction score
Sounds like the card crashed, doubt the phone did anything to it. Unless you have some type of data recover software (which may or may not work) your pretty much screwed, but you should ALWAYS keep a backup of your card on your PC for this reason ;)

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Remove the sdcard and put it in a card reader and see if things are still on it. If so, make a backup on the pc and then put it back in the phone to see if it is still unreadable. If so, put it back in the pc and reformat it and put your data back on it. Then put it back in the phone and see it can be read. Good luck.

zodder

Reaction score
Is it a faster sdcard? The same thing happens to me when I put a class 10 16GB card in there. Never had an issue with class 4/6 cards, though.

prodjbm

Reaction score
Just had same exact thing happen to me last night, lost everything on card !!!! Don't even show anything on card whrn I plug it into puter, I put an old sd card in phone and it reads it fine so I know its the sd card that took a crap

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, is the card a no-name one or a Sandisk or other brand? I think the no-name ones are taking a crap left and right.

Call up Verizon (you may have to call multiple times to get the right person) and have them send you a 16GB Class 4 Sandisk card. That's what I did and they sent it right out to me. I had a no-name one that crapped out on me.

prodjbm

Reaction score
mine was a no name..... Just hot back from verizon and hav ehte scan disk now

Frank_Mir

Reaction score
Remove the sdcard and put it in a card reader and see if things are still on it. If so, make a backup on the pc and then put it back in the phone to see if it is still unreadable. If so, put it back in the pc and reformat it and put your data back on it. Then put it back in the phone and see it can be read. Good luck.

similar thing happened to me. on the drag down message bar it said unexpected something from sd card and it told me to unmount it so i did. but now when i tried mounting it, it wasnt even appearing. even when i connected my usb cable to the pc. and i dont even know where the sd card is in my phone. can someone please tell me im super upset

Frank_Mir

Reaction score
omg it was working and then it said sd card unexpectedly removed. it shows it still works but i dont know how to keep it working. i just kept the sd card in settings open and it came up and then it said unexpectedly removed. need some expert help please

KHeeney5

Reaction score
Guys, if you read this thread and the other thread about this, it is a common problem. Take the card to a verizon store and tell them what happened. They usually replace it with a scandisk 16gb card. No questions asked.