Writing Apps and Zumocast

BakedGoodies

Reaction score
So I'm a writer, and I love how easy it is to write on the larger Bionic screen. Don't want to get the LapDock quite yet, but probably will eventually. When I set up Zumocast, one of the first things I did was test out the document editor, which used QuickOffice. When I checked it on my laptop, nothing was changed, even though it saved right on the phone. What's up with that? We can only view with Zumocast and can't edit?

Anyway, I've heard great things about Google Docs and Documents To Go. What I really want is the ability to access a doc (with the current draft) from anywhere, any computer or phone, which I know GDocs does. Does Documents To Go allow that? I don't really like Google Docs for PC. I guess my only other option would be to set up a server or something, huh?

haimez

Reaction score
You've got file sync options to move files around like dropbox or yes, google docs. In a pinch, even good old email will do although l suspect you'll bee looking for something a bit more sophisticated since I imagine you do quite a bit of writing.

idefiler6

Reaction score
Docs seems like the least amount of hassle and at least has some back and forth with MS office apps. By that I mean you can upload a .xls file and get the equivalent in docs without data loss.

haimez

Reaction score
Another thought- depending on how much writing you're actually talking about, you might be ok just getting a portable Bluetooth keyboard and north going all the way up to the lap dock.

OP
B

BakedGoodies

Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking of getting the LapDock but I found that since I got the Bionic, I'll start writing instead of playing a game in those few minutes of down time throughout the day. But it'd be nice for school and stuff.

Just tried using Google Docs on the phone and it drove me craaaaaaazy. It's so flawed I can't believe it! I usually would just save all my writing to GD in case of fires (it's happened) or take my portable harddrive everywhere, but I hate using it as a writing program. The only thing I can think of for that is using a different app for writing, then transferring to Docs to access on a computer. Then when on phone, opening it on GD, transferring it back to the other app....

Other idea: setting up an external harddrive to modem. It'd be accessible everywhere, yes? How would I access it via Bionic? And how easy is it to access Dropbox from a phone? Yeah, I'm a total noob here. Never actually thought I'd write from my phone.....

I checked out DLNA and I think it's only media, from what I understood. Don't know how well that app works or what exactly it does.

Oh, and what's a doc program that allows for some mild formatting? GD doesn't allow any, had no setting options at all, and every time I'd text I'd have to go back to the app, open the doc, select edit....just got annoying.

Thanks a million :D

haimez

Reaction score
Dropbox keeps files synced between all your devices automatically so there's no work on your part to manage that.

When it comes down to it though, you don't want to try and make your phone a primary writing device. Something usable in a pinch for small amounts of writing, sure- but not a primary writing tool. Pick up a netbook or MacBook Air for a lightweight writing station instead, and use Dropbox to keep your files in sync between it, your phone, and home computer.

OP
B

BakedGoodies

Reaction score
Oh I agree! My laptop is actually pretty small and lightweight, but I don't take it everywhere with me. I mean, I was at the doc's office today and just started writing. It was great. If I have 15 minutes between classes, I could see this becoming really handy instead of booting up my laptop.

Thanks for the input.

Anathema

Reaction score
I have been looking for something like this for a long time now.

Dropbox is your best bet right now from what I've found, and it's very easy to handle - especially on the bionic. What I do once I put the file on dropbox is just share it back to dropbox after every edit.