Would you return your Motorola Droid for the Nexus One?

ice456789

Reaction score
About 6 years ago, I had VZW. Had a nice phone and good service but it was time for an upgrade. Unfortunately VZW had terrible phones compared to the competition and I really wanted a good phone. So I switched to Cingular (AT&T) and got a really cool phone. I think it had Snake on it. :) Then found out that I didn't get any coverage inside my grocery store. It also didn't get any coverage on the turnpike or in most rural towns I had to travel to for work. And every time I got a call, any TV or stereo within 10 feet of my phone would make annoying noises and get huge interference. And for some reason about 70% of the time (no exaggeration) I would get an 'all circuits busy' message when trying to call anyone else who used Cingular even if I had a great signal. I moved back to VZW as soon as I could get out of the contract.

Keep in mind that I left VZW because I got a MUCH BETTER PHONE. The N1 is a slightly faster Droid made out of plastic and without the keyboard. Would I leave VZW to get a phone that is 3 months newer and deal with AT&T again? Never. I wouldn't do it even if I could get a phone from 2011.

msblueline

Reaction score
Haven't had my DROID but a couple weeks now. Haven't even learned its full potential yet... Much to explore too.

I don't believe I can give up a new phone for another new phone...

I love my DROID! :icon_ banana:

msblueline

JeffLee919

Reaction score
I believe HTC makes good smartphones with great designs. But hype has always been bigger than the phones themselves. I have found disappointments in their phones one after another since the Titan xv6800 and Touch Pro and kinda kept away from HTC since. My Samsung Omnia was more snappy than my Touch Pro and I have gone with Moto Droid knowing Passion/Nexus/Bravo/Incredible will come out to VZW in matter of time.

I saw some of the 3D benchmarks done on Nexus, Hero, and even Acer Liquid (which sports the snapdragon @ 768mhz).
Nexus
[video=youtube;hvzxZ8tOBcQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvzxZ8tOBcQ[/video]

Hero
[video=youtube;VayQfYTUoNE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VayQfYTUoNE[/video]

Acer
[video=youtube;Ewn7OHvYX6E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewn7OHvYX6E[/video]

HTC has had history with their phones providing 3d Drivers not fully optimized...from the Tytn, TP...and looks like the Leo.
[01.12.2009][UPD!] HD2/Leo 3D Driver Patch v1.1 - FAST! - xda-developers
Try a new driver for the HTC HD2 (Leo) to improve graphics performance

Although some of those are WM phones, looking at the 3D benchmarks makes me question the performance of the HTC phones again. Maybe Nexus/Bravo/Passion/Incredible phones would prove it wrong, but for some reason, I have a feeling it won't nor do I think these phones are the game changing phones that was hyped up to be. But every year, HTC phones are improving....but in smaller increments than public thinks/wants.

DebDroid

Reaction score
does that mean I would have to switch to t-mobile? if so, heck no!!!

thesandman51

Reaction score
Hell no.

First of all, the specs aren't much better and the phone isn't much faster. They'll also be running the same OS, so there will hardly be any difference between the two, other than the N1 being on a crappy network of course.

And secondly (and more importantly), the Droid has a physical keyboard.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Guys I got a new Macbook a couple months ago...now should I hypothetically consider returning it if they release an updated version in the coming months? Whats the point exactly of questions like this? LoL...I do not want to offend anybody, but seriously... If you want to return the phone and switch carriers, then do it. There's no need to have a silly debate about what to do.

Whats next... should we return the Droid or Nexus for the Pegasus by Samsung in early March? Completely made up the name of the device, but thats how dumb and rudimentary the question is.

Oh and just for the record...as the couple of posts above suggest..the Nexus has been out-clocked by other devices of similar form...does that make a difference? Absolutely not. The specs for this generation of phones are basically for show. All these phones are limited...we have to get to 4G/LTE before specs truly begin to allow phones to advance. The phone more so than ever will become a mini tablet, but not during 3G.

solideliquid

Reaction score
I wouldn't. But I'd gladly return 2.0.1 for 2.1 and those animated wallpapers (and extra SPEED)!

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nope, the only way is get this phone is if I had to move to another country that supports its 3g frequency. Until then im sticking with droid (or at least until there is a better android phone that coincides with my new every two upgrade lol).

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
IMHO HTC=Junk....Wife has one she likes it.

I personally have never had any luck with them.

M1dnite

Reaction score
You'll go broke trying to chase the newest hardware. Every 3 months you'll be getting new devices and switching phones. Not worth it for minor/no upgrades.

Oohyeah

Reaction score
Not having a physical keyboard is a deal-breaker for me.

I love the Droid's keyboard!! Really don't understand why some people hate it! It's not the best, sure, but it's still very useable, and that's why it's also the thinnest full qwerty phone out there!

asmallchild

Reaction score
Available on Verizon? Certainly I'd trade it in considering my Droid isn't 30 days old.

Not available on Verizon? Nope, sorry, not even for someone who drools (maybe foolishly given how nice my Droid is now) over the iPhone.

MrCapcom

Reaction score
Not having a physical keyboard is a deal-breaker for me.

I love the Droid's keyboard!! Really don't understand why some people hate it! It's not the best, sure, but it's still very useable, and that's why it's also the thinnest full qwerty phone out there!

Yea thats kinda why I went with the DRIOD. I knew there would be a better phone coming out spec wise but I just couldnt pass up the keyboard. Plus I just wanted something abit faster and had more mem than my Omnia wasn't looking for the newest of the new lol although DROID Is new. Anywho I love my DROID:motdroidhoriz: I find myself not liking the touch keyboard sometimes and its always nice to be like u know what bam slip keyboard out lol:motdroidhoriz: