Would you get out of the Fascinate if you could?

bluevolume

Reaction score
Fellow Android fans, I need some advice on what to do with my new phone. I have a Fascinate, obviously, and i'm about 2 weeks away from the end of my 30-day return window.

I'm a big tech guy (coder, system builder, etc.), but this is my first venture into the Android world. I am not where I want to be yet as far as experience and familiarity with these devices, and that's why I'm asking for help. I really like most everything about the Fascinate, except for the few SW bugs that everyone's dealing with (GPS, signal strength). I'm concerned about the OS not having been upgraded to 2.2 yet, but not just because I want the fixes. I'm more concerned by the message it sends; are they giving up on this phone? 20 months is a long time to have a phone that's been tossed to the curb.

So for those of you that have the Fascinate now, would you drop it for something else if you could? I'm really asking for an honest response, not trying to bait anyone into bashing Samsung or V or whatever, just looking for some experienced opinions to help me make my decision.

Thanks!
Blue

Swvapunk69

Reaction score
Hell no I love this phone all the people crying about it would just cry about anuthing they have. This is the only phone for me.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

MKKH10

Reaction score
I love this phone, but to answer your question honestly, yes I would. I have had too many problems with this phone and invested too much money into something that just doesn't work the way it should. I have had two replacements already.

MKKH10

Reaction score
And I'm not crying about it, I have just had bad luck with it.

Rhylin

Reaction score
Seeing all these new phones at ces is really making me consider returning this phone aswell and holding out for the lg revolution or droid bionic..the downside is the long wait, I don't think I can manage that. The only real problem other than the call quality with the fascinate is the waiting around for an update to these problems.

Sent from my fascinate

Jamis0n

Reaction score
My first android and I've been waiting for samsungs line up to get somewhere good since the alias 1 or schu740. Yes, there is a better one for at&t from CES and other products from different companies, but this phone is what I waited for and satisfied by my fascinating phone.

8pened!

ATC1986

Reaction score
Blue your my boy blue....dude get something else this phone has been eatting away at me the whole time I have had it...... Its a money pit ....however it is a nice looking phone but doesnt cut it any more , we should have had the update and yet we don't ......get something else me personally I'm going to sprint to get the evo.

Overcomer

Reaction score
I am two weeks into my 30 day WFG. Coming from a rooted D1 I have been a little torn about this phone too. I am leaning heavily towards keeping it. If the 2.2 update does not come I will just root this one and move on. Nothing coming out of CES has impressed me enough to wait...and where I live will be one of the last to get 4g (rural part of the country).

All in all I really like the SF. I am really trying to give the stock UI a chance instead of Launcher Pro, and I am happy so far. My vote so far is to keep it...

Mcbrocker

Reaction score
No, I will hang on to it also. It does everything I want it to. It will get even better one day.

Reaction score
i am running froyo on my vibrant. i can tell you it is night and day. assuming froyo is out before you return period ends, you will want to keep it. the gps is only a bit better, but all the little annoyances are fixed. the calander, contacts and lag bugs are all fixed.

minmongoblin

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind the lack of 2.2 as much if the development community could start making 2.2 ROMs. The Captivate has 4 really good ones, Fascinate has NONE that I know of

Hymizzle

Reaction score
I would definitely keep it myself. Try the new ADW Launcher EX, the animated screen effects makes this phone shine. Plus tons of customizable settings, its better than Launcher Pro which used to my favorite.

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind the lack of 2.2 as much if the development community could start making 2.2 ROMs. The Captivate has 4 really good ones, Fascinate has NONE that I know of

yes, that is a great thing about the tmo vibrant, plenty of roms to choose from. i am running a leaked stock 2.2, but plenty of decent ginger clones. my wife has the fascinate and i am just waiting til the 10th to see if i need to take matters into my own hands. although i don't think she could care less what version of software she running.

unfortunately the updates do not greatly improve the gps, but the flash is incredible. here is a great interview with a samsung rep:
Android Insiders: A conversation with Trevor Lambert of Samsung Mobile – Android and Me