Would applying a black status bar stop the 2.2.1/2.3 update?

Mr X

Reaction score
I know there's an update coming here soon, whether it's 2.2.1, 2.3/3.0 or both and I don't want to keep my phone from downloading it by having a custom theme. From what I remember about pre-2.2, you had to go back to stock to receive the OTA. I never had any themes or anything, just removed bloatware. I renamed the .bak's to apk and everything went just fine.

Well just a minute ago I finally mustered up the courage to skin Swype back to the 2.1 black theme and figured, if I fix the Swype color issue (my one of only two complaints about 2.2), I might as well fix the other - the status bar. BUT... I don't want to jeopardize the next update. So two questions:

1. Did I mess things up by applying the black Swype theme via MetaMorph? The .apk is the same and that's what I remember we had to make sure of for 2.2. So, I'm not screwed with just having skinned the keyboard, not the system, right? (I know you can always flash back to stock 2.2 to get 2.3/3.0 but I do ***NOT*** want to do that)

2. Is there a way to apply a black status bar skin/theme like this without a) de-odexing [just worried about any potential risk or bricking my phone when de-odexing] or b) ruining the next OTA?

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
The way I understand it if you are running the stock OTA 2.2 you will still get the update even if you theme. I just finally got around to rooting for the first time yesterday to run a black status bar. I deodexed using 928Droid's method and it is quick and painless.