Gmail 2.3 apk edit question

slider112

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Have a question regarding the new Gmail update; hoping somebody can help me out here...

First off, I'm able to download from the market and update from 2.2 to 2.3 without any problems; that's the good news.

What I'd like to do is pull the new apk and replace the stat_notify_email.png file to another image. Essentially in 2.3 the notification icon in the status bar is in black and white and i'd like to replace it with a colored icon.

Here's what I've tried to do: I've used Root Explorer to copy the file (com.google.android.gm-1.apk) to the sd card, then I've pulled it to my computer via usb. I've replaced the png file within the apk with the one I want and sent it back over to my phone and replaced the previous file in the same directory it was in before (/data/app). The only thing I changed was the png file. Once I've replaced the original apk file with the new revised one Gmail won't work. I've tried uninstalling, deleting the old apk, installing the new apk... nothing doing.

Does anyone know any way I can just do a simple edit to change that png file and have it work? Is it failing to manually install because its a system app?

Running Sapphire 1.0.0, Black Bar Theme on a rooted Droid 1

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

R3Ds

Developer
Reaction score
Website
r3dsthemes.com
Try this delete the one in data/app directory then take your edit one rename to Gmail.apk and push to system/app usally that works with stock apps. Good luck

Sent from R3DMANX.COM/R3Ds

OP
slider112

slider112

Reaction score
Thanks very much, appreciate the response. Will give this a try.

OP
slider112

slider112

Reaction score
Just so I'm clear on this: I just need to do a straight copy/paste here and simply replace the gmail.apk file in the system/app directory with the new renamed apk for 2.3? I don't actually need to execute the new apk and do an install on it?

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score
Just so I'm clear on this: I just need to do a straight copy/paste here and simply replace the gmail.apk file in the system/app directory with the new renamed apk for 2.3? I don't actually need to execute the new apk and do an install on it?

When he said push I think he meant to use ADB shell OR
a terminal emulator and push it.

OP
slider112

slider112

Reaction score

Ok, on second thought this is what I was thinking he meant... what would be the command lines in terminal emulator that would accomplish this? Would I just need to have the new Gmail 2.3 apk file in the root dir of the sd card?

Thanks in advance for the help.

R3Ds

Developer
Reaction score
Website
r3dsthemes.com

Ok, on second thought this is what I was thinking he meant... what would be the command lines in terminal emulator that would accomplish this? Would I just need to have the new Gmail 2.3 apk file in the root dir of the sd card?

Thanks in advance for the help.

here is a update.zip format to push to system
make sure you have unistall any gmail update from market before doing
this install.

DOWNLOAD HERE
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11235279/gmail.2.3.zip

- Download zip
- Rename to update.zip if not already done
- Place update.zip on the root of sdcard
- Reboot into sp recovery
- Install
- Allow update.zip installation
- Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)
- Enjoy!

Sent From r3dmanx.com/r3ds