Word/Excel, etc, what's best on Droid?

Technoman

Reaction score
I had to try this so I emailed myself a worksheet. When I got it on my droid there was a "preview" button which I used and Sheet to Go opened the attachment. From the docs to go program I was able to save the worksheet. I saw no way to save the attachment from within the email itself. This was a Gmail account I used.

The Preview button is also available in the regular EMAIL APP if you scroll down to the bottom of the message. Click Preview, and a box opens for you to select SPREADSHEET VIEWER (DOCS TO GO), and it downloads and opens it right up.

From there you can save the file on your SDCard as stated in the message above.

I guess the long press only works on pictures that are embedded in the message.

billyidle

Reaction score
I've used Documents to Go for some time on my Centro. Loved it. When I got the Moto Droid it was the first app I got. Paid for that night. I do edit worksheets everyday. There are a couple of things I miss. One is sync. Needing to copy or e-mail a document back and forth is kind of an extra step. But I'm getting use to that. Another is I created a Word document on my PC that contained a drawing and text boxes. It seems these things are not supported in DTG. I wrote them and requested both these options in a future release.
Other than that the program is solid, and extremely useful. Free if you don't need to edit.
P.S. There is no stylus support on the droid. So fat fingers is another thing to get use to :motdroidhoriz:

As long as you use a stylus that works on capacitive touch screens, it'll work on the droid.

MinConst

Reaction score
I would probably get a stylus if there were someplace to store in on board. But the more I use the droid the more I am getting use to the finger use. Still a stylus would come in handy for some things. The trackball works well for moving around a worksheet.
It's been my experience that all new technology comes with a learning curve. Use it and becomes easier. In a couple more months I will probably look at a stylus as just another step that is unnecessary.

normwerner

Reaction score
It would be nice to have a spell checker in Docs to Go. There doesn't seem to be a good spell checker for anythgnonteh Droid anywhere. That would be particularly helpful in the email apps.

Norm

LNovik

Reaction score
Word viewer question

Conqsoft said something I haven't seen before:
If you only want to view Word/Excel, you don't need anything. There's an undocumented viewer that comes with the Moto Droid, already built in.

I'm about to receive my Droid X (with broken ESN) in the mail in a few days. I didn't even buy it for the phone, since I'm too busy to be on a PDA during the day, and don't want to pay for a data plan. I'm mainly using it as a Word viewer, to view medical topics when I am with patients. Could someone, such as Conqsoft, please comment on how I can find this "undocumented viewer" on my Droid.
Thanks.
Larry

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what they were talking about unless it's Open Office. And I don't know if you can view excel on it.

REMilk

Reaction score
I use ConnectOffice ConnectMobile. I can read, edit MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint file. I can read PDFs. It can access from other sites, such as GDocs, dropbox, box.netmhuddle and mobileme.

Bob