Word/Excel, etc, what's best on Droid?

v188

Reaction score
I'd like to view Word or Excel docs on my Droid. I kind of planned to send them to myself via email. I don't want to create the docs, just view them. Could anyone give me some ideas on apps that might help me do this?

I know I can buy a ~$15 program, but I'd really like a cheaper program, since i just want to view. Any thoughts, or point me to the app location?

bacalao

Reaction score
I know I have a few applications for viewing: docs to go, offiviewer, and beam reader. All from market free. Works so far except that office viewer has a file size viewing limit of 1MB (more if you pay). Give em shot and see if they work for your needs.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
If you only want to view Word/Excel, you don't need anything. There's an undocumented viewer that comes with the Moto Droid, already built in.

ronjon444

Reaction score
If you only want to view Word/Excel, you don't need anything. There's an undocumented viewer that comes with the Moto Droid, already built in.
Cannot get excel files to open from email or after you select the attachment it asks to save it on the SD card. The file cannot be found even when you open Quick Office first. Also, does Quick Office allow you to make an excel or word document from scratch??

Had a Palm and a Blackberry - this phone is very weak in the email, documents and data entry / modification capabilities.

cyber3d

Reaction score
I use "Docs to Go" by Dataviz. Here is a bl;ub on their page

Why Choose Documents To Go?
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif
gray_dot.gif

• Free Word & Excel viewers for all Android-based devices! Get it now!

• Full featured. Documents To Go is not just a viewer, it's a complete solution with a full range of viewing AND editing features. Customers can unlock premium features by purchasing the 'Full Version Key' from the Android Market or our online store.

• First & only. Documents To Go is the first mobile Office suite for Android that supports editing of native Microsoft Word, Excel & PowerPoint files!

• Powered by InTact Technology. DataViz' acclaimed technology ensures all original file formatting is retained once a file has been edited on a smartphone and forwarded on.

• Send & receive attachments. Documents To Go is tightly integrated with Gmail and other e-mail applications like RoadSync for quick and easy native attachment downloading and sending.

• Native. Open Word and Excel files on your Android smartphone without any desktop or server conversion needed.

• Nothing new to learn. Documents To Go was designed and developed with the Android device user in mind - everything from the menus to the touchscreen to trackball is supported for a familiar look and feel.

• Selected by Google to showcase our latest Android developments at Google I/O, their largest devleoper conference of the year. Watch a clip.
Included on select handsets from leading manufacturers like the T-Mobile Pulse (Huawei U8220.)

ronjon444

Reaction score
Docs to Go

Thanks alot. Used this ap on my Palm Centro and really liked it. Will go get it now.

macksfield2

Reaction score
Question, if you have a program like docs to go, would you edit the word and excel docs using a pointer?

ronjon444

Reaction score
Docs to Go by Datavitz

I think I will look around for a free application before I pay the $15.00 for docs to go. It was ok.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
+1 for Docs to Go

MinConst

Reaction score
I've used Documents to Go for some time on my Centro. Loved it. When I got the Moto Droid it was the first app I got. Paid for that night. I do edit worksheets everyday. There are a couple of things I miss. One is sync. Needing to copy or e-mail a document back and forth is kind of an extra step. But I'm getting use to that. Another is I created a Word document on my PC that contained a drawing and text boxes. It seems these things are not supported in DTG. I wrote them and requested both these options in a future release.
Other than that the program is solid, and extremely useful. Free if you don't need to edit.
P.S. There is no stylus support on the droid. So fat fingers is another thing to get use to :motdroidhoriz:

droiduser123

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the heads up on Docs to Go. I installed it, but still not able to open excel in my email? What am I doing wrong? Thank you!

MinConst

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the heads up on Docs to Go. I installed it, but still not able to open excel in my email? What am I doing wrong? Thank you!

Not sure if this is it but did you save the document before trying to open it? I transfer my worksheets by USB so I'm not sure of an email attachment.

Technoman

Reaction score

Perhaps you have forgotten the Android secret function :)

I think all you need to do is LONG PRESS on the attachment, and then save it to the SDCard. Open it from it's saved location (likely Downloads directory).

There may also be an option in the menu with the email open.

Technoman

Reaction score

Perhaps you have forgotten the Android secret function :)

I think all you need to do is LONG PRESS on the attachment, and then save it to the SDCard. Open it from it's saved location (likely Downloads directory).

There may also be an option in the menu with the email open.

Well, I just tested this in GMAIL, and could not get it to work.

I know it works in the standard MAIL APP, but I guess it doesn't in GMAIL?

Going to test that one to make sure that I am not going crazy. :icon_eek:

MinConst

Reaction score
I had to try this so I emailed myself a worksheet. When I got it on my droid there was a "preview" button which I used and Sheet to Go opened the attachment. From the docs to go program I was able to save the worksheet. I saw no way to save the attachment from within the email itself. This was a Gmail account I used.