Wont turn back on/fully load

meliibellyxo

Reaction score
My droid X froze earlier tonight & i plugged it in the computer because it usually fix's it. this time, it didnt. i got tired of waiting it to just... go away so i took the battery out and put it right back in. it wouldnt load past that red circle thingy that moves in the loading process. so i did it again cept i waited a couple minutes.. did the same thing. i did it for over an hour & it still is one the red circle thing moving. i need help :( a s a p. im about to lose it.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Is the phone rooted?
How long has it been locking up for? Freezing and whatnot is not normal activity for the phone btw.

If you rooted it, we can get it back restored. If it is stock and just a crappy phone Motorola will replace it. It might take some time, but you'll be ok, don't stress too much.

And, welcome to the forums, you've come to the right place!

OP
M

meliibellyxo

Reaction score
lol well thank you! except i just realized that i didnt put it in the droid X part. and i could of swore i did. but rooted it? not sure what that is. is it that thing where you hold the home button and power button and wait for something and blah blah? well if yes, then no i havent. its been freezing a lot lately. i thought it was maybe because i had a lot of pictures but its only 189. =| and i just delete a lot of things even though it takes FOREVER to load everything. i tried to call my house earlier and if i was dying trying to make that phone call lol i would have been dead before i could even dial - thats how long it took.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
You know you're in the Droid2 forum, right?

Not that we won't try to help, but maybe the other DX owners would know more about what's going on w/your X.

In any case, you probably need to try a data wipe/factory reset. The folks in the DX forum will know how to launch the recovery program...it's accessed by holding the power key and one of the four hard keys on the DX...once you're in Recovery you can do a factory reset/data wipe and start over w/a "clean" phone that will most likely boot up.

1. Pull battery.
2. Re-insert battery.
3. Get into recovery - ask/look in the DX forum.
4. Use the volume key to scroll down to the (Can't remember exact wording) Wipe Data/Factory Reset option
6. Press the Camera button to select the option and confirm

When the process finishes select the reboot option.

When you boot up all your apps/settings/call log/sms will be gone and you'll need to activate the phone (select option 1 in the activation sequence). Then you sign into your google account and your apps/settings will automatically reload from the Google cloud.

Good luck...

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is there any chance that for some reason, it was still running 2.1 and downloaded the 2.2 update before you did the battery pull? Because i've heard about an issue with the 2.2 update for the X that makes the device behave like you describe. If the 2.2 update bricked it, I believe they will replace it. That is if the data/cache wipe doesn't help.

OP
M

meliibellyxo

Reaction score
actually i JUST updated it the other day i thought it would fix it and it kinda did but now its slow again -__- i just got to the exclamation point part and i just pressed the reboot now one to try it first incase MAYBE it would work. so far.... it hasnt haha so i choose the data/cache wipe and it WILL give me my information back? lol thats what im scared of :( losing it all.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
actually i JUST updated it the other day i thought it would fix it and it kinda did but now its slow again -__- i just got to the exclamation point part and i just pressed the reboot now one to try it first incase MAYBE it would work. so far.... it hasnt haha so i choose the data/cache wipe and it WILL give me my information back? lol thats what im scared of :( losing it all.

All your apps/system settings will restore. Not SMS, not call log, not home screen configurations.

Good luck...

revision

Reaction score
After you reload it and activate it, make sure you give it enough time to reload all your apps from the google cloud. Your pictures etc should be kept on the SD Card so you're pretty safe there.

DROIDpfft

Reaction score
im having the same issue. my droid x is only 2 weeks old and since i got it the thing wont boot up past the motorola logo.. till i pull the battery for about a minute and retry a couple times.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
im having the same issue. my droid x is only 2 weeks old and since i got it the thing wont boot up past the motorola logo.. till i pull the battery for about a minute and retry a couple times.

were you rooted or no

droidnewb

Reaction score
Same problem

Hey I just picked up the DX the other day, it seemed to be working fine and I wasn't planning on rooting it just yet as I have a D1 rooted and running beautiful. So I updated the x figuring I'll play around with it while I read some threads here on rooting and stuff. After rebooting I noticed it hung up on the moto screen. I had to pull the battery a couple of times to finally boot all the way through. It did seem sluggish to me maybe a bit choppy. So I figured the update was causing the problem so I did a data wipe/ reset. Then with x running stock it did the same thing again. I did get it running again but then I had the same issue as mentioned earlier, the music player said it could not play that file type. Meanwhile it was playing these files with no problem earlier. So now I had to pull the battery to see if that would help and now it won't boot again. I figured Its just a bad unit but now I see I'm not the only one with this problem.

droidnewb

Reaction score
hey, i just realized from doing some reading that i didnt remove the ota update by doing the factory reset. It has to be flashed backed to 2.1, so my question is should i just bring the phone back to verizon or try flashing back to 2.1? I have no problem doing the flash my self its just that if its not the update causing the problem i'd rather just get this over with and get a new phone.

TreyStyles

Reaction score
+1. I'm having the same problem intermittently. I get stuck at the "M" during the boot process. Pull the battery repeatedly, and it eventually gets past the M and boots normally.

I'm rooted, but it was doing this since the 2.2 OTA update (before I rooted). I'm really nervous that this is a hardware issue. Maybe the video card isn't initializing properly or something. If it is I'm going to unroot and return. Please please please give me some guidance. Thanks in advance!

Last edited: