Wiring

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Hi,

I just took out the fan from my dead ps3... and i was thinking of rigging it to this aluminium tray I got, to create a cooling stand for my laptop. Unfortunately, I am nob at wiring and was wondering if anyone could help me. I would like to wire it to a USB cable, so I can plug it into my laptop.

The fan itself..

Imageshack - download1e.jpg
The end of the wiring
Imageshack - downloadtu.jpg

Sorry bout the quality of the pics, best I can do since my memory card for my camera is missing, and I quickly snapped these using my Droid.

Any help appreciated.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I cant help with specifics, but I know two plugs on USB correlate to voltage (try Wiki).

Figure out the voltage of the fan (probably 5V), and strip all 4 connections from the fan and hook them up to a couple batteries. the pair that make the fan spin in the right direction are what you want.

OP
SwiftLegend

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
It says on the back:

12V DC 1.75A
No idea what that means.. I've watched a couple of videos on youtube showing how to make an old PC fan USB powered. The red and black wire, lol, not sure if it's the same for all. This fan has 3 wires though, all connected to a 3 pin type connector. Looks like the connectors for the batteries in RC cars.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Simply means it's a 12 volt 1.75 amp fan.

Lookup USB on Wiki, it has everything you want to know.

Basically, USB is 5V, .5A, so you wont be able to make the fan work with a standard USB connection, it simply doesnt put out enough juice.

OP
SwiftLegend

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Would using one of these possible?
6ft 12V to M Barrel+USB PoweredUSB Cable - Plus Power - StarTech.com

I'd have to check to see if they have wall outlet adapters.

EDIT:

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/5741/80586849.jpg
Shows a better view of the connector head. Circled in red, black and white twisted wires.
I think it's called a 3 pin Molex KK connector head. Anyways, its on most (or all) PC fans, so I was looking at this, http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=78942

If I could only find a outlet that fits these ! :D

Last edited: