Wireless PC to TV

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Interesting concept. You realize there's no audio right? well it will play on your PC... but I think there are better alternatives.
What is your current setup (i.e. does your laptop have a HDMI port, do you have a router ect.). Also what exactly are you wanting to do?? There's got to be a better alternative.

Personally I would suggest on of the WD devices (I'm assuming you have a router). I have the WDLive Hub it will allow you to stream video AND audio not to mention the internal 1TB HDD. But there's several similar devices ranging in price and features.

OP
R

RETG

Ezair states: Crisp Audio/Video Streaming. I assumed it was via the HDMI or possibly through the audio post on the unit.

But that WD Live Hub sure looks interesting.

Looking to purchase a Sony EX710, with wireless internet connection so I can watch Netflix and some other programs via the internet.

However, would also like to view some video content from my HP Laptop to the TV also. One of those is Hulu, which does not seem to be available via the internet TV. Can get blockbuster and netflix, but some items appear to be only available via an actual computer (i.e., Hulu).

With my weird work schedule, which can change from day to night, and I'm on 24/7 emergency call, I can end up being gone for days. I currently rely on Hulu for TV programs, and when I can, Netflix for movies. I also have a Phillips HD DVD recorder for TV programs, but since I have to set that device to record onto the HD, that is not always possible; thus the reliance on Hulu for some programs. Hulu is good on my 17" LED laptop, but would prefer to watch on the new TV when I get it.

What I was looking to do was with the Sony TV get some internet viewing, but wanted to link programs like Hulu from the laptop to the TV.

Looking at the WD site, a bit confused on this Hub.
Can you program it to record TV programs and record to the HD?

I did note it can be connected via a wireless adapter (extra price) for internet connectivity; plus there is an optional power line setup to run internet via the power lines in the house (very interesting.)

The laptop does have an HDMI port, runs Windows 7-64.

Internet if via a D-link N-Router.

Another option to look at. Thanks....dancedroid

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hulu - Plus
If you're getting a new TV likely you'll be able to get Hulu through there. Also the WDLive Hub is slated to get it soon (as is the XBox 360). Of those options the WDLive hub gives you all the ability you want with a lot more. Personally I would say it's a better value but it's your dime. Also the Xbox 360 supports streaming of lots of media type from your PC (and is also slated to get Hulu soon) so.. It's more expensive than the WD hub but give you more as well. With all the choices I personally couldn't justify the $100 on that device given it's limited use. YMMV.

Also since your laptop has HDMI you could (cheapest route) just buy a long a$$ HDMI cable (not sure how far you sit from the TV).

PS
On a personal note if you are shopping for a new TV I would seriously look at other units other than Sony. Also wait a few weeks. Generally speaking TV's are cheapest at the end of January (right before the superbowl).

Vizio's are GREAT for the price (I have three and they are all great) and Samsung is generally reviewed MUCH higher than Sony for the same price (or lower). I choose the Vizio because it has the Vizio apps (which was one of the first brand to have such 'apps'), and built in wifi for far less than the others. Samsung's display was a little nicer ('deeper') in the store (but it was probably optimized as well) but for the same price it was slightly smaller, no built in wifi and the screen had much more glare/reflection. At any rate really take your time and compare.

Last edited:
OP
R

RETG

TV is pretty much decided. I have looked quite a bit at Samsung, Vizio, LG, Toshiba and a few others, and my biggest problem with all is fast moving sports; especially NASCAR. All have a slight blur; except for the Sony's I have reviewed. This is on the mid-range price TVs. The super high end are great in any manufacturer I looked at, but not paying that much for a TV.

I would consider a Plasma, but the room where the TV is going to be situated has a lot of sunlight and Plasma's are terrible with reflection vs. the newer LED LCD TVs.

I'll be getting one in the next week or so. I'll actually be working the Super Bowl so no time to do any shopping. But when I get home I want to watch it on a big screen.:icon_ banana:

If, as you say, Hulu starts to appear on the internet TV, then that changes everything. (Where did you hear that Hulu will be coming to Internet TV?) I won't need one of those boxes. Other than Hulu and on occasion a TV program not on Hulu, I really have no need to connect the TV to the computer. But as you say, if I did, I can always get a long HDMI cable for those once every few months I want to watch something from the computer.

What I really need is a nice quiet, 9-5 office job.:)

Thanks for all the info and suggestions....

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Link in the post above:
Hulu - Plus

As for the 'blur' it's funny you say that. Most of the reviews of comparable models put Sony at the bottom of that category. The important thing is the refresh rate. At this point (particularly with the newer LCD-LEDs) you want at LEAST 120Hrtz. Vizio and one other have 240Hrtz (though the Vizio's is a simulated/artificial 240) and are much better at sports than the Sony's. Keep in mind your video source. Also DON'T pay to close of attention to the displays in some box stores. Many of the stores have selected display models professionally tuned (something they will do for you for a $$$) to make certain models (and certain manufacturers) look better than the competition. Make sure look at 'independent' reviews (Consumer Reports, CNet, Amazon users, other types of Reviews, TV programs ect.)

OP
R

RETG

Thanks for the link, very interesting.

As for the TVs, I pay no attention to what a store has, or what a salesman says. But I also pay no attention to reviews on Amazon or other sites.

I pay more attention to sites that actually test products with testing equipment designed for the product being tested.

It can get confusing and not all actual TV models are tested. So you have to hope in some cases that a 32" in a model will be at least close to the test done on a 42" of the same model. Usually, model to model is close if not the same.

You have to also look for the features you like the best, and then compromise. Most of the sites I have viewed the past month show Sony has excellent motion control with little artifacts, but it depends on the model. Which is true of any TV.

Have come across quite a few reviews that state the motion on the 710 is great (in the standard mode). The 710 is hit on the side angle viewing, but that won't affect me; just my guests. One review stated in the 55" TV there was some motion artifacts, but they pretty much start to disappear as the screen size reduces.

But thanks for the info on Hulu and for that WD hub. Have to admit it adds some more options, and I might decided to get the Hub and forget about getting a TV with internet connectivity. Had already thought about just getting a Blu Ray with the internet vs. a TV.

Just too many options and now there are more. Might have to wait another week to figure this all out.

Again, your info has been very helpful, if not adding more time and thought to my TV purchase.:)

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just too many options and now there are more. Might have to wait another week to figure this all out.

Again, your info has been very helpful, if not adding more time and thought to my TV purchase.:)

Lol, that's for sure, and it's getting worse... Don't forget the new Google TV (The Logitech thing looks REALLY cool) and Sony and LG TVs (well some of the High-ends) are going to have GoogleTV built in. What really sucks is we're at the apex and the next year is probably going to see things REALLY take off (then again, we should have had all this stuff YEARS ago...., lol). Glad to help, good luck wading through everything.

OP
R

RETG

I don't know whether to thank you or swear at you.:biggrin:

I actually went to Colorado yesterday and looked at some TVs. And I was impressed with the Vizio with the built in Wi-Fi and the price was not bad, compared to others. One thing I really liked was the front facing speakers vs. those side speakers on other TVs.

Even though I use a surround sound system for movies, for normal viewing such as the news, weather channel, History channel, etc., I use the TV speakers, and those side facing speakers are not as good as front facing.

So, back to the drawing boards to research this.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. One problem I have noted is the technology is expanding so fast, I'm having a hard time keeping up.:icon_eek:

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't know whether to thank you or swear at you.:biggrin:

I actually went to Colorado yesterday and looked at some TVs. And I was impressed with the Vizio with the built in Wi-Fi and the price was not bad, compared to others. One thing I really liked was the front facing speakers vs. those side speakers on other TVs.

Even though I use a surround sound system for movies, for normal viewing such as the news, weather channel, History channel, etc., I use the TV speakers, and those side facing speakers are not as good as front facing.

So, back to the drawing boards to research this.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. One problem I have noted is the technology is expanding so fast, I'm having a hard time keeping up.:icon_eek:

:rofl3:
Glad to hear, lol. Yeah, for the price Vizio is hard to beet especially for the feature list. The built-in wireless-N is FLAWLESS (have had ZERO connection problems with both units). The picture quality is AS good as everyone else and better than a lot (depending on the line of course, they have 3 'lines' like most manufacturers). Also they generally have more inputs than the competitors and yes the front-facing speakers sound great for basic TV (again, vary a little depending on line). Personally I like the 'matte' finish of the screens, it gives the best balance between picture clarity and glare-resistance. Only brand, IMO that had a better 'image' was Samsung (a little deeper of and image) but for the same prices you loose several inches and features (wi-fi and hookups) and Samsung had a bit more glare (which was an issue for me due to window placement at my place. Also they have a great (though ugly) BT remote which at the time I bought was only offered by Sony (though you'll want to get a GOOD universal remote if you haven't already, the HarmonyOne is my req, AMAZING remote). The only 'con' I could list is that it takes a bit long to switch channels but that may be similar on other brands I don't know. Also the 'power wheel' is awkward to some (rather than an array of buttons on the unit there is only one 'wheel' to select and control everything, I personally like it, not that it ever gets used).

Happy hunting:icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

Last edited: