Wirefly Q (discounted primary upgrade)

dr3wv4n3

Reaction score
Didn't see an existing thread on the forum after searching...

Has anyone tried up upgrade with wirefly on their primary line when they're not fully at the end of their contract (i.e. discounted upgrade period)? Does VZ charge you the $20 for upgrading early? Is there typically an activation fee with wirefly? Seems a shame to get a refurb D1 from big red for $99 when I can go D2 from wirefly for $40. That is, IF I can upgrade through wirefly not at the full end of my 2-yr contract.

dancedroid

SquintyOS

Reaction score
Upgrading Answer

Has anyone tried up upgrade with wirefly on their primary line when they're not fully at the end of their contract (i.e. discounted upgrade period)? Does VZ charge you the $20 for upgrading early? Is there typically an activation fee with wirefly? Seems a shame to get a refurb D1 from big red for $99 when I can go D2 from wirefly for $40. That is, IF I can upgrade through wirefly not at the full end of my 2-yr contract.

dancedroid

I've upgraded early through VZ; have a few times now, even my droid was an early upgrade. If you're on a family plan and one of your lines are eligible, you can upgrade no problem. Otherwise, you'll be paying full retail on the phone.

Keep in mind this is for any other time for early upgrading. Yes. you'll get the discount. My mother and is due for an early upgrade and so is another line. She and I will be able to get the two new global Droids when they come out.

Happy upgrading!!:)

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have heard about the primary line on a family plan getting an upgrade every year just so Verizon can keep you as a customer. Is this true if so when can it be used and is it a discounted price for the phone?

Trying out Sprint for a month. Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk. 4G is pointless when you don't live in one of the few available network areas.

fluidj

Reaction score

dancedroid

Doesn't work. Period.
I tried it. I was eligible for an early upgrade with Verizon (reached my 13 months in period with 11 months remaining on my 2 year). Early Verizon upgrade means discounted pricing with a $20 fee to take advantage. I went on wirefly to try and get the Fascinate when they had it for free. Also tried to get the Droid 2 when they had it for free. It looked like my order went through, but then about 2 hours later I got an email stating that Verizon had noted that I was ineligible. Yes, they contact Verizon and wait for Verizon's approval to give you the discounted pricing. If Verizon denies it, then they cancel your order. This is what happened to me. I also tried to get the free phone Fridays at Best Buy....same results.

OP
dr3wv4n3

dr3wv4n3

Reaction score
Thanks fluidj. I supposed to could try it but it sounds like it'll die on the vine.

My friend tried wirefly 6 yrs ago and paid for a phone he never received.

fis

Reaction score
I've purchased several phones from Wirefly. Love the deals, but they are an authorized dealer and can so can only process full upgrades -- not early upgrades.

Wadman

Reaction score
Actually wirefly let my dad upgrade when he wasn't even eligible for an upgrade....he got the discounted price through wirefly...then had to turn around and pay an early termination fee and ended up paying full price for his droid...all in all he ended up forking out around 900 bucks by going through wirefly...customer service was horrible...he never recieved his mail in rebate for my moms phone..........he had a horrible experience with them......Because of that I won't use it....

(My gripe is they let you upgrade knowing you aren't eligible) If you read the fine print they specify that if you aren't eligible for an upgrade then you are going to have to pay whatever fees come about....

Wirefly

Reaction score
Actually wirefly let my dad upgrade when he wasn't even eligible for an upgrade....he got the discounted price through wirefly...then had to turn around and pay an early termination fee and ended up paying full price for his droid...all in all he ended up forking out around 900 bucks by going through wirefly...customer service was horrible...he never recieved his mail in rebate for my moms phone..........he had a horrible experience with them......Because of that I won't use it....

(My gripe is they let you upgrade knowing you aren't eligible) If you read the fine print they specify that if you aren't eligible for an upgrade then you are going to have to pay whatever fees come about....

I am sorry to hear that your dad had this experience with us, however what you claim happened doesn't make sense or sound correct to our policies and procedures. Fis is correct, we can only process upgrades on orders when the line is fully eligible for upgrade (at the end of the 24 month contract). If your dad did some sort of a buddy upgrade and swapped the upgrades around on the plan, I can see where some of the costs came from. Without all the order details and information I cannot say for certain why your father had the experience he had, nor can I take corrective action if applicable.

If there is something that I can do to be of assistance or questions that I can answer for you, please feel free to drop me a PM and I will be happy to assist you.