Wired tether doesn't work

brad r

Reaction score
I'm on XP SP2 (I can't change this), and the latest version of HTC Sync is installed on my machine. When I change to Internet Connection Mode, which I assume is the version of wired tether, the Found New Hardware Wizard opens, and I pick to install the software automatically. It then says it could not be installed because the wizard could not find the necessary software.

This happens every time. Everything else seems to work, HTC Sync, internet pass-through, etc. Can anyone help me out with this? thx

OP
B

brad r

Reaction score
If I say to install it from a specific location, then tell it I will choose the driver to install, I get the attached image. I think one of these might be right, but I didn't want to pick one without confirmation.

q51kB.gif

Thanks.

OP
B

brad r

Reaction score
One other detail. If I give it the path to search for a driver, and I try the following three locations, it doesn't find a driver it likes there either.

H98wy.gif

I tried qcusbmdm, qcusbser, and XP_x86 and none of it worked.

DroidStang

Reaction score
I never had one of these smart phones and tethered 2 hours after owning this thing...go to market on your TB, download PDANet free, find program online on computer, install on your computer, plug in and connect, all that neds to be checked is USB Debugging is enabled, open the app on TB and if does not connect click on turn off pda net on TB and you will see enable USB..works great.

OP
B

brad r

Reaction score
I never had one of these smart phones and tethered 2 hours after owning this thing...go to market on your TB, download PDANet free, find program online on computer, install on your computer, plug in and connect, all that neds to be checked is USB Debugging is enabled, open the app on TB and if does not connect click on turn off pda net on TB and you will see enable USB..works great.
Yeah, but that doesn't work for https sites (i.e. facebook login), and I'd rather not pay for the full version if I can get the built-in wired tether to work for free.

DroidStang

Reaction score
I know it will get on vpn to my company which is a big plus sorry not a facebook fan. Where is the built in tether? I work with verizon cause our company tethers with usb cable to their blackberries and not free.
Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

OP
B

brad r

Reaction score
The built-in tether is when you connect your phone via usb and then switch to "Internet Connection Mode". When I do this, it asks me to install drivers, and I can't figure out what to install, and I don't want to install the wrong one, which is why I came here.

DroidStang

Reaction score
See vzaccess has those but if you connect through that they will track you may charge. Have you confirmed the paid version of pdanet restricts facebook the free may as you say. But a onetime 9$ fee if works better than 30 a month and not ready to root this thing yet. Oh yeah my payroll site and bank are secure the free pdanet gets there fine?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

OP
B

brad r

Reaction score
Well I heard that tethering is free on the thunderbolt until like May or something. At any rate, I am sure they won't charge without prompting first.

I had PDANet on my Droid 1 and I couldn't log in to https sites such as facebook with it. It also had a popup like every minute reminding me of that fact, which was annoying. And I thought PDANet was something like $24 one time fee, not $9?

OP
B

brad r

Reaction score
The thing until May is Wireless Hotspot, I have that setup fine and works great..try that.
I don't have a wireless network card in the PC I am trying to tether. And yes, USB debugging is on.

Last edited:

thmorrill

Reaction score
I found out about Easy Tether in the market and it works like a champ!! Even with the 4G issues in my area.