Will LTE phones require an LTE data plan? No "3G only"?

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to buying a nifty dual-core phone next year.

Is Verizon going to allow a "3G only" data plan on LTE phones?

Consumer choice and satisfaction says, "Yes, we don't want to force our customers to pay more for things they don't want." :laugh:

Big Business philosophy says, "No, 4G profit potential is too great, we need a quick ROI on building the LTE network. Shareholders, shareholders, shareholders!" :icon_evil:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
guess you want an LTE phone for the hardware and not the connection. I would imagine would limit LTE phones to the LTE plan though

similar how they force smartphone buyers to get a data plan.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
From what I understand that's the case, you will have to pay 4g price even if your area only has 3g. That's one of the factors why I decided to get an Inc now instead of the Thunderbolt later

stonecaster

Reaction score
Im hoping that you can get the LTE plan even tho it is capped, but after you reach
that limit you can still get unlimited 3g?? Anyone heard anything like that?

Iowa

Reaction score
I think corp philosophy is going to prevail on this one lol...also why I decided to get my Dinc now...not going to pay for 4g when I can barely afford my 3 smart phones my family has now lol.

_33

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone comes out with a nice 4.3", dual core, 3g only phone. I dread worrying about data usage. If I knew one wasn't coming I would grab an X right now.

OP
PolyOlefin

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone comes out with a nice 4.3", dual core, 3g only phone. I dread worrying about data usage. If I knew one wasn't coming I would grab an X right now.
I hear you. I'm doubtful that there will ever be a 3G-only dual-core phone, however.

You might want to think about the Samsung Fascinate instead of the X. I had a chance to play with an HTC Evo (same 4.3" as the X) and the Fascinate side by side; the Super AMOLED screen on the Samsung is miles above, there's really nothing else like it.

I also compared the 4.3" to my Droid's 3.7", and because the resolution is the same (480x854), the larger screen is noticeably less sharp... almost feels like going backwards in technology to me. The Fascinate's 4-incher is a good compromise in size vs. resolution, and the superior GPU (SGX 540) makes everything run smoothly.

I'm really surprised how Samsung went from no-hitter to all-star in just one year.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I hear you. I'm doubtful that there will ever be a 3G-only dual-core phone, however.

You might want to think about the Samsung Fascinate instead of the X. I had a chance to play with an HTC Evo (same 4.3" as the X) and the Fascinate side by side; the Super AMOLED screen on the Samsung is miles above, there's really nothing else like it.

I also compared the 4.3" to my Droid's 3.7", and because the resolution is the same (480x854), the larger screen is noticeably less sharp... almost feels like going backwards in technology to me. The Fascinate's 4-incher is a good compromise in size vs. resolution, and the superior GPU (SGX 540) makes everything run smoothly.

The X is a great phone for those that want the biggest screen you can get. The reason things look less clear on the X is because the pixel density so about 200 ppi compared to the droids approximately 300ppi. The greater the density the clearer the picture.

The samsung fascinate is a great phone for those that want a larger screen and a great screen. Although I'm not too thrilled with the touchwiz UI.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

mikehal38

Reaction score
This is in no way 100% information but after talking to a verizon rep you should be able to pick whether you want 3g or 4g data plans with the new 4g phones. They said it will be similar to internet service providers meaning you can pick your data speeds for your needs. Hopefully that is the case as 4g won't be in my area for a while.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

techguru

Reaction score
All speculation at this point since Verizon has not announced what the 4G data plans for smartphones will be yet, and aren't likely to until January 9th at CES when they introduce the handsets.

When they added EVDO (3G) to 1X (2G) the plans stayed exactly the same. If you were in a 3G area with a 3G capable phone, you got 3G service, in 1X areas, you got 1X. It is possible (though unlikely) that they will do the same for LTE.

Alan

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
In other words, we won't know until LTE is available and the data plans are updated. Pretty much like any other pre-release rumor situation...

mikehal38

Reaction score
In other words, we won't know until LTE is available and the data plans are updated. Pretty much like any other pre-release rumor situation...

I can't say it any better than that. We'll know soon enough.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

jbg25

Reaction score
Is Verizon going to allow a "3G only" data plan on LTE phones?

I see no reason why they should....

I completely disagree!

Considering a huge percentage of the verizon customer base will not have access to the 4g network...I think there is a reason for them to do it. I do not have 4G and as of right now there is no timetable for it.

I know that I would upgrade now to get a new dualcore phone on 3G and sign a new contract, if they offer that option. Otherwise, I will not upgrade until it is here...and that could be a year or two for all I know. Heck...buy the time it comes...maybe Sprint or TMobile improves their 4G enough to make it desirable for me and then I would switch carriers

I imagine I am not alone in this...so you likely have 100,000's or even 1,000,000's of customers that would upgrade now and sign a new contract for a new dualcore 4g phone even if it was on the 3g network...and then do it again when the 4g becomes available.

Seems to me Verizon wins twice if they offer that...and could potentially risk losing a lot of customers to competitors if they don't.

That being said...I have no confidence that BigRed will do the right thing...and I am preparing to keep my OG droid 1 until I break it.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think it's possible if you want one of these LTE phones but 3G service only you will get less of a subsidy. VZW has to incentivize people to switch to LTE, when available, in order to maximize its overall capacity.