Will I lose Unlimited if I purchase phone before upgrad date

phatjedi

Reaction score
I have a Droid Bionic with broken camera. Eligible for upgrade 6/13. If I purchase a new phone retail (I doubt they will let me early upgrade) will I lose my unlimited data plan? Or is it possible to add second line, switch primary number to new phone and when Bionic is eligible for replacement just drop that line? Would love not to have to buy a phone retail. Thank you.

Caesars

Reaction score
If you purchase at full retail you won't lose unlimited, I just did this with the gn2 ;)

Return of the Android

JRParsons

Reaction score
You won't be able to drop the second line since it will be subject to a 2 year contract. You could drop the first line, but you will lose unlimited.
From all I've read, full retail or pay for a second line for 2 years are the only ways to keep unlimited data, even if you are eligible for an upgrade.
I had a friend upgrade at a discount and they never changed his plan. Neither one of us know how this occurred and he doesn't want to ask Verizon.

N4UPD

Reaction score
Why should it matter if you are going to pay full price? Upgrade dates are for subsidized price phones anyway.

OP
phatjedi

phatjedi

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, looks like a will have to bite bullet for new phone. Hopefully my Bionic will be worth something on ebay (parts, larger battery etc).

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
just an FYI if you have more than 1 line and you dont need unlimeted Data on both you can roll upgrades to that line . upgrade phone. swap sims and you are good to go.

I do this all the time i have 5 lines 3 of which have unlimeted data and 2 that have regular phones i use those 2 lines to upgrade the other 3 lines .

OP
phatjedi

phatjedi

Reaction score
just an FYI if you have more than 1 line and you dont need unlimeted Data on both you can roll upgrades to that line . upgrade phone. swap sims and you are good to go.

I do this all the time i have 5 lines 3 of which have unlimeted data and 2 that have regular phones i use those 2 lines to upgrade the other 3 lines .
Nope just the one line

Zecpull

Reaction score
I Just bought a Barely used , razr maxx from a friend, and had it put on my sons line.. I did not lose unlimited, and I will start shopping now for my replacement so I don;t lose unlimited. I am tired of Verizons Lies, they tell you that you can keep your plan forever.. ( unless they don't like it )