Verizon unlimited/upgrade question

tmal2

Reaction score
I've got 3 lines on my account. 1 (mine) is a smartphone and the 2 others are dumb phones. My line and one of the dumb phone lines are eligible for an upgrade right now and I'd like to take advantage of the upgrade and use it on my (smartphone) line.
I've been told there is a way to use the upgrade from the other line (not transferring the upgrade) and get myself a new phone without losing my unlimited data or paying full price for the phone.

Can someone please explain to me in detail what I need to do to achieve this. I want to use the upgrade but don't want to lose my unlimited.

Thanks in advance

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Upgrade your dumb phone line to a smartphone line and then transfer the new smartphone to your original line. You'll keep your unlimited. Once your new phone is on your unlimited line, drop the data plan on the dumbphone line.

That's how I upgraded.

OP
T

tmal2

Reaction score
Upgrade your dumb phone line to a smartphone line and then transfer the new smartphone to your original line. You'll keep your unlimited. Once your new phone is on your unlimited line, drop the data plan on the dumbphone line.

That's how I upgraded.
Is there a limited amount of time that I have to keep the new phone on that line with the data package?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
AFAIK no. The smartphone just has to be activated on the former dumb phone line. Once it's been activated you can just transfer the new smartphone to your original line.

It's best to do this in store to get it done as quickly as possible. I recommend you get it done at a Verizon corporate store as well.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there a limited amount of time that I have to keep the new phone on that line with the data package?

If you buy from a second source other than Verizon there may be. Amazon is an example of a seller with extra strings attached. I believe only Best Buy doesn't have the strings. Maybe Wal-Mart also.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notetoo

huskur

Reaction score
Simple. Just upgrade the dumbphone and select the minimum data package (you have to select it) order from vzw online. Once you get the phone CALL vzw to activate it on your line. Very easy

DroidMomof9

Reaction score
I just got a S4 and kept my unlimited! I did have an upgrade from another line.... I was pretty thrilled to keep my unlimited!! :)

Teamanglerx

Reaction score
I just had a similar situation.

I had a dumb phone and my wife has a smartphone with unlimited. I was able to upgrade to a smartphone with 2GB usage without effecting her unlimited plan.

If my wife wants a new phone and keep her unlimited plan she will either have to:
A: Pay full price for the phone
or B: Use the installment plan (not the Verizon edge).

However, the rep I talked to when I got my smartphone said that if someone was on the unlimited plan and switch over they would get 6GB of data for the 2GB price ($30) per month. This might be an option for my wife.

furbymac

Reaction score
I have an upgrade available on my line (unlimited) and the g/f just upgraded her contract a few months ago (no longer unlimited) can i transfer my upgrade to her line, get the phone and then transfer the phone to my unlimited line, or will they not allow that??

davidwilp

Reaction score
A few months ago I got the S4. My wife's line (dumb phone) was eligible for an upgrade and somehow the rep on the phone got me the upgrade to S4 and transferred it to my number using my wife's line. I was able to keep unlimited data. Now my son needs a new phone. Both he and I (current smartphone lines) are eligible for upgrade. I called Verizon and they said they were not able to preserve my unlimited. Last time they were due to dumb phone.

furbymac

Reaction score
Just get online and transfer your upgrade to the "dumb phone" line then activate it on her line. Then re activate her phone and activate the new phone on your line.....I bought my maxx at best buy and they did it all for me

davidwilp

Reaction score
Just get online and transfer your upgrade to the "dumb phone" line then activate it on her line. Then re activate her phone and activate the new phone on your line.....I bought my maxx at best buy and they did it all for me

If that reply was for me, my wife's dumb line was already used to get my upgrade for my S4. I have no dumb lines left. Although I probably have some dumb phone I could activate on a new line but that would mean more in monthly charges

furbymac

Reaction score
If that reply was for me, my wife's dumb line was already used to get my upgrade for my S4. I have no dumb lines left. Although I probably have some dumb phone I could activate on a new line but that would mean more in monthly charges

Yes it was to you......you can transfer the upgrades from one line to another. So since your line has the upgrade, transfer the upgrade to her line.