Will Gogle Navigation work over wi-fi with no 3G data plan?

S

SilverK20A3

Will Google Navigation work over wi-fi with no 3G data plan?

Hi! Recently received ticket for a cell phone violation while looking at Google Nav with my Droid 2 in my hand. Because of this, I'm very interested in purchasing a Moto Car Dock after all these years. With dual core processors and 4G coming, I'm afraid that my phone, and especially a car dock made specifically for it will become obsolete soon. Since I'm gonna have to inevitably upgrade, I am hoping to continue to use my Droid 2 as a PDA/standalone navigation unit.

Assuming I can wi-fi tether my Droid to a future phone, will Google Nav still fully function? Has anyone tried this yet?

My car dock purchase will be based solely on this factor...

Thanks!

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi! Recently received ticket for a cell phone violation while looking at Google Nav with my Droid 2 in my hand. Because of this, I'm very interested in purchasing a Moto Car Dock after all these years. With dual core processors and 4G coming, I'm afraid that my phone, and especially a car dock made specifically for it will become obsolete soon. Since I'm gonna have to inevitably upgrade, I am hoping to continue to use my Droid 2 as a PDA/standalone navigation unit.

Assuming I can wi-fi tether my Droid to a future phone, will Google Nav still fully function? Has anyone tried this yet?

Thanks!
Just a guess on my part but I really doubt it since you will need a constant connection for nav to work.

SGTiger

Reaction score

Thanks!
Just a guess on my part but I really doubt it since you will need a constant connection for nav to work.

You do not need a "constant connection" any longer. Google Nav caches the trip in the beginning.

Travis798

Reaction score
The problem with cached routes is that I doubt the nav would be able to recalculate. I believe using another phone as a hotspot for your phone would solve that problem. The only potential problem I see is without phone service the gps may take longer to initially find your location.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App