Will Droid Turbo work w/Fox Fi? What if I buy an unlocked phone? Does that matter?

TamBam

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID RAZR
Hello, I am a newbie. I am not tech savvy, so please reply with simple language, or explanations. I want to upgrade from my DROID RAZR (Verizon) to the Droid TURBO, and FoxFi *does* currently work on my RAZR phone. I am grandfathered into an unlimited data plan and must buy a phone at retail price to keep that plan. Since I have to pay a high price anyway, I do have the option to buy an unlocked phone. Will FoxFi work with an UNlocked phone, or even a locked phone? Thank you.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum TamBam! I don't think it does at the moment, but hopefully one of our Turbo members can verify. Good luck!

S5 tap'n

dman4915

Reaction score
No it doesn't work it's blocked by Verizon. I just turn on my hotspot through the myverizon app when I need it and just pay $1 a day. It's still worth it if you don't have any other form of internet to just pay for the hotspot.

N1smo

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 3
If you have a 4G iPad, you can pull the Sim out of the phone and stick it into the iPad. I have Vonage also and when I use the iPad for data, I forward the cell to Vonage and it would ring my iPad through the Vonage extensions app. To make calls, I use Google Hangout. The great thing about this setup is that Verizon didn't block the iPad's built in tethering so I could tether my laptop and anything else I want to it. I run this setup on long trips since the iPad's battery life is bad ass and I can stream YouTube or whatever on a much bigger screen in the car. That's my middle finger to Verizon, I also have a Moto X that is rooted but I like this setup better. Food for thought.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
If you have a 4G iPad, you can pull the Sim out of the phone and stick it into the iPad. I have Vonage also and when I use the iPad for data, I forward the cell to Vonage and it would ring my iPad through the Vonage extensions app. To make calls, I use Google Hangout. The great thing about this setup is that Verizon didn't block the iPad's built in tethering so I could tether my laptop and anything else I want to it. I run this setup on long trips since the iPad's battery life is bad ass and I can stream YouTube or whatever on a much bigger screen in the car. That's my middle finger to Verizon, I also have a Moto X that is rooted but I like this setup better. Food for thought.
Wow, using the iPad and your SIM to get wireless tethering is an interesting loophole.

OP
T

TamBam

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID RAZR
No it doesn't work it's blocked by Verizon. I just turn on my hotspot through the myverizon app when I need it and just pay $1 a day. It's still worth it if you don't have any other form of internet to just pay for the hotspot.

Thanks for the answer dman. I read somewhere else that someone said it would work with a USB cable, but only saw that in one place. I agree with what you said and have somewhat resigned myself to believing that for the few times a year I need a hotspot, I might just have to pay up to Verizon. In the end it's probably still cheaper. And maybe eventually FoxFi will find a way to resolve the block. I'm wondering if any other apps provide what FoxFi does. In any case, now my only question is whether to give up my unlimited data plan, but in the end, I think that decision pays to keep the unlimited (grandfathered) data plan and buy an unlocked phone anyway. Thanks again. Happy New Year.