Changing phones on verizon

Carolinatim

Reaction score
I have a Razr Maxx on verizon that is grandfathered on the unlimited data plan and I am ready to get a new phone. Upgrading through verizon will cause me to lose the unlimited data so my plan is to buy an S6 on ebay or somewhere like that. My question is: what is involved in changing out phones? Is it just a matter of swapping out the SIM or do I have to go into a verizon store? Is there anything I should be aware of? Do I need to buy an unlocked phone? Thanks in advance for any advice.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hello...no you need to buy a vzw specific device for Verizon...if to want 4g to work that is..(different spectrum than T-Mobile and at&t and Sprint..)

The razr maxx uses a micro sim as I recall...I'm not sure what the s6 uses..it may be a nano sim..either way..you're buying the device outright and not entering into another contract ..so you could just walk into a Verizon store with it...and they would supply you with the proper sized sim card, and enter it into the system and get you up and running..with your unlimited data in tact..

Just be careful where you buy your s6..try Swappa or a trusted retailer..you don't want to get ripped off buying a stolen device that won't work...

Hope this helps??

OP
C

Carolinatim

Reaction score
Hello...no you need to buy a vzw specific device for Verizon...if to want 4g to work that is..(different spectrum than T-Mobile and at&t and Sprint..)

The razr maxx uses a micro sim as I recall...I'm not sure what the s6 uses..it may be a nano sim..either way..you're buying the device outright and not entering into another contract ..so you could just walk into a Verizon store with it...and they would supply you with the proper sized sim card, and enter it into the system and get you up and running..with your unlimited data in tact..

Just be careful where you buy your s6..try Swappa or a trusted retailer..you don't want to get ripped off buying a stolen device that won't work...

Hope this helps??
Thanks for the info. I am looking at unlocked verizon phones only so they should be OK on verizon network. Hadn't heard of swappa though, I will check them out

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Swappa has guaranteed devices..you will never get a bunk device from there and be stuck with it..stolen or otherwise..unless you buy a graveyard phone (broken phone for parts).. Which obviously you're not in the market for..

Anyhow..glad I could be of help..all Verizon 4g phones are "sim unlocked" ..or can be...it can be complicated to explain..but yes you're on the right track..

OP
C

Carolinatim

Reaction score
Swappa has guaranteed devices..you will never get a bunk device from there and be stuck with it..stolen or otherwise..unless you buy a graveyard phone (broken phone for parts).. Which obviously you're not in the market for..

Anyhow..glad I could be of help..all Verizon 4g phones are "sim unlocked" ..or can be...it can be complicated to explain..but yes you're on the right track..

I just found one on swappa and bought it. Thanks for the tip!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2