WiFi Won't Connect Using WPA, WPA2

XanRules

Reaction score
FIXED!!

I was having the same problem. Droid 2 trying to connect to my home Linksys WRT54GS Router with WPA2 Personal with TKIP+AES.

The Droid would keep saying "Obtaining IP address..." but then would disconnect, and actually never fully connected at all.

After doing a bunch of research on this, here's the fix that worked for me:

On the Droid, go to Wireless Settings, then hit Menu > Advanced.
Check "Use Static IP"
I gave it a static IP of 192.168.1.149 (I have my router address at 192.168.1.1 with an allowance of 50 DHCP users, so I put the droid up there at #49)
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
DNS1: 208.67.222.222
DNS2: 208.67.220.220

These 2 DNS numbers are from opendns.com. Someone on another thread said it worked for them, so I tried it and it worked for me too.

As soon as I tried it, I instantly got the full wireless signal.

I hope this helps someone else!

Maureen
I did this and it worked for 5 minutes before disconnecting again.
Motorola...I am disappoint.

I also went through http://checkip.dyndns.org/ and found out that the router IP is 71.204.88.89, so I plugged that number in for my Static IP and Gateway.
No luck.

Last edited:

gwtx2

Reaction score
My Fix

I had this same issue. My Dlink DIR-655 router was set to

WPA Mode: Auto (WPA or WPA2)
Cipher Type: TKIP and AES

I changed it to

WPA Mode: Auto (WPA or WPA2)
Cipher Type: AES

and the Droid connected. SSID has always been broadcasted.

R

RETG

Cannot remember what my D-link N-router is set at since it has been over a years since I set it up. However, I do know it is set to WPA2, and after I spent the time to plug in my 50 character password, the X connected immediately and has always worked fine.

itchn2go

Reaction score
this is working. thanks for posting.

FIXED!!

I was having the same problem. Droid 2 trying to connect to my home Linksys WRT54GS Router with WPA2 Personal with TKIP+AES.

The Droid would keep saying "Obtaining IP address..." but then would disconnect, and actually never fully connected at all.

Check "Use Static IP"
I gave it a static IP of 192.168.1.149 (I have my router address at 192.168.1.1 with an allowance of 50 DHCP users, so I put the droid up there at #49)
DNS1: 208.67.222.222
DNS2: 208.67.220.220

These 2 DNS numbers are from opendns.com. Someone on another thread said it worked for them, so I tried it and it worked for me too.

Maureen

XanRules

Reaction score
Still no luck on my end.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

piquat

Reaction score
I fixed this for me anyway

Those of you not connecting to a home router, check the channel the router is set to. Most usually default to channel 6. I changed mine a while back trying to trouble shoot an unrelated problem. It was set to 13. Brand new (I've had it 3 hours!) Droid X wouldn't even see my network, even broadcasting the SSID. Changed back to channel 6, picked it right up! Connected WPA2/PSK with no problem.

dougfresh413

Reaction score
I bought my Droid X on Dec 18th and love it but have been having similar problems connecting to my home wifi network. I have a Netgear wireless router model WNR2000. Every other device in my house connects including my wife's incredible. In my wifi settings I could see my X would constantly be attempting to connect but could never stay connected.

After reading multiple forums and trying everything the past few days, I finally went to the Verizon store this morning. The clerk confirmed wifi connectivity is a problem with the Droid X. We grabbed a demo phone and some mobile hotspots to test things. Neither phone would stay connected to a WPA/WPA2 network that was password protected. However both phones would stay connected and could surf the net when connected to an open network. Long story short that did me no good because I want my home network to be secured. The clerk suggested I wait for a system update to fix the problem which got me thinking about updates for my router.

When I arrived home I went to the Netgear website and downloaded the latest firmware for the WNR2000, I believe it was vers 1.2.3.7. I have a version 1 WNR2000. I installed the update to the router, restarted my modem-router-phone and now it's working. I've been connected and surfing the web all day. My router is still protected with WPA/WPA2. I cannot say this will work for everyone but at least make sure your router has the latest firmware.

-Doug's Droid X

upthereinthesky

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip!

I had laboriously setup my VZW Droid X with WPA and a 64 character key. I changed the settings to connect to a friend's wireless router, basically DHCP to Auto.

When I returned home, I couldn't connect to my Linksys Wireless G router. Like an idiot I had the Droid forget the connection and started from scratch. It's quite difficult typing in all those special characters. Still no connection.

Reading your tip on page 1 of this thread, I turned on SSID and voila! It worked. I turned it off (6% into a 75MB YouTube upload) and boom. Nada. Turned it back on, got a connection, but the upload wouldn't resume, so had to cancel it and start over. Now, it's up to 100 percent, and uploaded at a rate of 1% every 5 seconds or so.

The strange fact is, it worked prior to this with SSID broadcast turned off. Hmmm. Oh, well. As previously mentioned, security by obscurity is false security anyway.

Thanks a lot!

Bill

rwhamilton

Reaction score
I went thru the same thing. Finally found that changing my WiFi channel from 2 to 6 fixed the problem!

No dropped connections so far!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

rwhamilton

Reaction score
To clarify, I changed the setting on the router, no change on the phone.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

abouch1

Reaction score
FIXED!!

Check "Use Static IP"
DNS1: 208.67.222.222 :)
DNS2: 208.67.220.220 :)

Maureen

Thanks, worked for me...

esar

Reaction score
Another possability ?

Well, here's another way that is workin so far.
I entered the quoted ip address etc (by hitting "menu" and then advanced) and nothing happened, i then looked at my router settings.
entered some numbers i was not confident about, still nothing.
I THEN TURNED OFF "USE STATIC IP" and my wifi connected.
It may transpire that just turning on "use static ip" and then turning it off again resets something.

• dancingDroid.gif
but this was a problem for me using jellyfish rom and modacodancedroid