Wifi tether Kindle to Droid

MdicnMan

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has a way to get this to work. The Kindle doesn't support ad-hoc wifi. I bought the non-3g model thinking that is was just as easy to tether to the Droid since I would always have it with me anyway.

RemyL75

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has a way to get this to work. The Kidle doesn't support infrastructure wifi. I bought the non-3g modle thinking that is was just as easy to tether to the Droid since I would always have it with me anyway.

Don't you mean it does support infrastructure?? Because if it didn't, it wouldn't be able to work with routers and most hotspots.

OP
MdicnMan

MdicnMan

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has a way to get this to work. The Kidle doesn't support infrastructure wifi. I bought the non-3g modle thinking that is was just as easy to tether to the Droid since I would always have it with me anyway.

Don't you mean it does support infrastructure?? Because if it didn't, it wouldn't be able to work with routers and most hotspots.

Doh! All better now. Doesn't support ad-hoc. Thanks for catching that.

polarys425

Reaction score
Same situation here with the wifes Kindle. I got her the non-3g version figuring we could just wifi tether to the droid.

RemyL75

Reaction score
Looks like the kindle cannot connect to ad-hoc connections. This is the type of signal that the droid 1 broadcasts. I don't believe that the droid 1 can change the type of signal that it broadcasts so this would need to be done on the kindle's end.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Yes. You would need access to the guts of the Kindle's OS. There is a way to jailbreak a Kindle but I don't know if you can access that level of the OS even jailbroken. IIRC, the Kindle actually runs a Linux variant, so it's probably better to call it Rooting the Kindle.

I take it you don't have access to a computer to side-load the books?

RemyL75

Reaction score
There is a rooting method, but from I have read it doesn't do much for you. Def didn't see anything about wifi settings.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
If you have a PC with a WiFi chip and Windows 7 you can use Connectify Me (or similar, if your chipset supports it) to create a hotspot -- just tether your Droid to your PC.