WiFi Tether issue with Razr M

TravisK

Reaction score
I just upgraded my wife's phone to the Razr M. I decided I wouldn't root it as Foxfi would give us the wifi we wanted without the hassle of rooting. Well we just got the phone yesterday and the wifi was working, then it updated to 4.0 or 4.1 and now I can't find any wifi app that will allow me to use wifi under my standard data (we have the unlimited data package that verizon no longer sells). We go through 25-30 gigs per billing cycle on this line.

Is there a good wifi solution without rooting the phone?
Also, I want the fastest wifi possible, which apps are best and do I need to root the phone in order to get maximum wifi speeds?

OP
T

TravisK

Reaction score
Your wifi is working, you just can't tether to it. Correct?

Yeah, a prompt says I do not have WiFi with verizon, ask me to add the feature for $29.95 per month. It did that with about 5 no root wifi apps I DL last night. The phone still lets me do USB tether though.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I was gonna suggest the usb. The reason I did ask was the title of this thread was misleading. I changed it, maybe it'll get more views. Sorry I can't help with the wifi tether, I'm rooted & use a wifi tether app for root users:(

OP
T

TravisK

Reaction score
I was gonna suggest the usb. The reason I did ask was the title of this thread was misleading. I changed it, maybe it'll get more views. Sorry I can't help with the wifi tether, I'm rooted & use a wifi tether app for root users:(

Is rooting easy enough I could do it on my own without having done it before? We really need to use the WiFi, we used it all the time with her old phone which I paid a guy to root for us.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Rooting isn't that hard, but I don't have a Razr to know the steps well enough to guide you :( Maybe someone will offer some help

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS

OP
T

TravisK

Reaction score
Well I figured it out, kinda. Foxfi or any of the other no-root wifi apps don't work on jellybean.... yet. So I either wait for them to figure out how to work with JB or root my phone.

steeletown

Reaction score
TravisK said:
What phone and carrier are you using?
Are you rooted?
Also I need the WiFi connection not the Bluetooth.

S3 ,not rooted anymore ,Verizon, With Wi-Fi

FaxFam

Reaction score
Any new updates on this? Has anyone been able to get wifi tether working?

My organization is switching to Verizon, and the Razr M is one of the phones that we are choosing. Just bumping this thread to see if any progress has been made in getting the wifi tether to work without rooting the phone. We're looking at getting about 600 of these so rooting isn't really a viable option. I did see that an app called Easy Tether does work via USB, but wifi tethering would be preferrable.

Hope someone has a quick solution for me.

Thanks!

OP
T

TravisK

Reaction score
Well not really. I test out the non-root WiFi HotSpot apps every few weeks or so and when they fail I just delete them and try again later.

I do have a temporary fix though. We have a lot of WiFi devices in the house and I need WiFi like an addict needs their fix. You can use Easy Tether (which I love) hooked up to your computer and then enable your computer to share it's connection to a wireless router and ~wallah~ everything in the house now has WiFi access. I ran the most data I have ever run through that line last billing cycle, a whopping 92 Gigs! My speeds are phenomenal as well, but I am very close to a data center as well as a cell tower.

I guess I can't really complain. The TV, XBox, DS, Kendal, etc. all have WiFi now. I will test out the connection speeds if a non-root option ever comes out. In all reality the router broadcast a stronger signal for me anyway so I shouldn't complain. I get pretty good speeds and it only cost me $30.00 per month on the grandfathered data plan. This doesn't help you though FaxFam as this is more a home solution than one that would work for your company.

Anyway, if anyone has any new information please post it.

Cheers
TK

huskur

Reaction score
I have the Note 2 without root and run Foxfi on it just fine. Which the Note 2 is jellybean.

FaxFam

Reaction score
Thanks TK for the post, I have downloaded Easy Tether and it works great, just was hoping for the wifi option for other folks in the department. Thanks for your input. Glad it's working well for you.