Wifi Strength

HonKudasai

Reaction score
Is it just my phone or is the wifi radio weaker than I expected? Our router is in the kitchen and my D1 can manage to snag at least a bar of signal and hold it stably, from my desk in the bedroom 2 rooms over. My Bionic can't for life of it even hold a signal long enough to obtain an IP address. Granted, there are between 3-4 walls between me and the router, but my D1's been able to maintain a connection where my Bionic can barely even catch a signal.

My D1 is rooted running stock 2.2, with one of Pete's LV kernels. Rooted my Bionic, too, but I've only frozen (not deleted) the VCAST bloatware and used Titanium to restore my Google Authenticator. I don't think I screwed anything up. Did I get a dud, or was I just dumb in thinking the radio would be pack more of a punch? :/

OP
HonKudasai

HonKudasai

Reaction score
Well, it's a 2-router setup. The main one is a Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N running DD-WRT. The one in the kitchen is a Linksys WRT-54gv6 (also on DD-WRT) running in repeater bridge mode. Haven't had any issues with the setup, before. Also to note, my gf's Ally can also catch the wifi signal from the bedroom. Sadly, it actually gets a better signal than even my D1. :(

jmlaser

Reaction score
My previous setup was similar to yours. Rooted D1 running sourcery Had good signal everywhere in my house even some in Garage. Bionic is just ok. Where I had 1 Bar on the D1 my Bionic now barely gets signal. Just a weaker radio IMHO. 4G is a battery sucker so I guess they figured save battery where they could....