WIFI only DX will not log into google play anymore to update apps

renaldoaoa

Reaction score
Please bear with me while I try to explain the odd behavior of my DX.

About a year ago I upgraded to a DX2 and I've been using my DX with only a wifi connection. I play a game on both phones, and my DX is my secondary account for that game. A month or so ago, the DX stopped allowing me to go into google play to update the game. Matter of fact, it wont allow me to log in to google play at all. It says "no connection, retry" even when I am connected to wifi. I can log into and play my games, surf the net, etc... but I have no way to update anything at all.

When everything was working fine, I actually had cell phone bars and it seems that I was still connected. Now, it shows (no service) and the cell phone bars show a red X over them. This phone has it's own gmail account, but as I've said there is no connection. It seems like to log into google play, you need to have a gmail account. Just throwing that out there for info.

Anyways, I've read through a good many posts here, and I was thinking of resetting the phone and using the method found...
Can Droid X be used as WiFi device without activating the 3G phone?

The only issue I am having is IF I use this method, will I be able to gain access to google play to download and update my games? At the moment, I can play my games, but when a new update comes along I know I wont be able to update. I would rather keep things as they are so I can play, but I'm worried if I reset the phone I wont be able to even download and reinstall my games. I'll just have a stock phone that I wont be able to put anything on. So, keep it as is and play until I wont be able to continue due to update, or take the chance that I wont be able to download and will lose the ability to play my games on the phone from this point on. This is where I am now.

If y'all tell me that resetting the phone and during the activation use that "4 click method" I have no problem doing so, but as I said I wanted to get some confirmation before actually doing it.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, and thanks for reading through this!

I also wanted to add that since this change, my battery will run down VERY fast even with the phone turned off

roach

Reaction score
Please bear with me while I try to explain the odd behavior of my DX.

About a year ago I upgraded to a DX2 and I've been using my DX with only a wifi connection. I play a game on both phones, and my DX is my secondary account for that game. A month or so ago, the DX stopped allowing me to go into google play to update the game. Matter of fact, it wont allow me to log in to google play at all. It says "no connection, retry" even when I am connected to wifi. I can log into and play my games, surf the net, etc... but I have no way to update anything at all.

When everything was working fine, I actually had cell phone bars and it seems that I was still connected. Now, it shows (no service) and the cell phone bars show a red X over them. This phone has it's own gmail account, but as I've said there is no connection. It seems like to log into google play, you need to have a gmail account. Just throwing that out there for info.

Anyways, I've read through a good many posts here, and I was thinking of resetting the phone and using the method found...
Can Droid X be used as WiFi device without activating the 3G phone?

The only issue I am having is IF I use this method, will I be able to gain access to google play to download and update my games? At the moment, I can play my games, but when a new update comes along I know I wont be able to update. I would rather keep things as they are so I can play, but I'm worried if I reset the phone I wont be able to even download and reinstall my games. I'll just have a stock phone that I wont be able to put anything on. So, keep it as is and play until I wont be able to continue due to update, or take the chance that I wont be able to download and will lose the ability to play my games on the phone from this point on. This is where I am now.

If y'all tell me that resetting the phone and during the activation use that "4 click method" I have no problem doing so, but as I said I wanted to get some confirmation before actually doing it.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, and thanks for reading through this!

I also wanted to add that since this change, my battery will run down VERY fast even with the phone turned off
======================================
i had the same problem i thought it was my router as people were telling me,if thats all you do then download FoxFi if you somehow can I have about 4 phones that were all working then one day they stopped.You can try unplugging your router,my connection goes in and out.I don't use my phones anymore but I did want to see if i did get wifi.

OP
R

renaldoaoa

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Roach!

I have reset my router, but still no luck. I am currently digging deeper into my router settings, maybe something happened within the settings.

I do want to say again that I don't have any problems connecting, or running anything while connecting to my wifi. I just can't log into google play for updates.

I am going to DL FoxFI and put that on my primary phone (X2) and see if I have any changes. My thought is If I put that on my primary (X2) and connect my secondary (DX WIFI only) to it, then I should know if the issue is with my home wifi, or the phone.

I'll make sure to reply with my findings. :)

OP
R

renaldoaoa

Reaction score
Ok, here's what I've done..

I reset my router, no luck there. I went through my router settings and everything matches up to the screenshots I took when I set it up last year when everything was working correctly.

I put FoxFi on my primary (X2) and connected to that wifi with my secondary (DX wifi only) and I am still having the same issue. I also put my primary (X2) into airplane mode and connected to my home wifi and I was able to log into google play.

At the moment, it looks like the problem is with the phone itself, however I'm willing to try anything that y'all throw at me.

Man, I was hoping that would do it! :-(

roach

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Roach!

I have reset my router, but still no luck. I am currently digging deeper into my router settings, maybe something happened within the settings.

I do want to say again that I don't have any problems connecting, or running anything while connecting to my wifi. I just can't log into google play for updates.

I am going to DL FoxFI and put that on my primary phone (X2) and see if I have any changes. My thought is If I put that on my primary (X2) and connect my secondary (DX WIFI only) to it, then I should know if the issue is with my home wifi, or the phone.

I'll make sure to reply with my findings. :)
are you saying you can use the internet with your phone,if you can then open an account with google using your desktop computer and sign in for a new account,i believe you can update threw there.
or just google it i'm sure someone has had the same problem.
https://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=185277&p=settings_sync_all

have you went back and checked your data settings on your phone,i forgot to ask you cause that was my problem.