Wifi issues after switching to 2.2

mzmtg

Reaction score
Whenever I run a 2.2-based ROM (kangerade, sapphire, team chaos, etc...) my phone will not connect to the wifi network at my house. It connects fine everywhere else.

With 2.1-based ROMs (bugless, rooted stock 2.1, etc...) the wifi works fine at home.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

huskur

Reaction score
Whenever I run a 2.2-based ROM (kangerade, sapphire, team chaos, etc...) my phone will not connect to the wifi network at my house. It connects fine everywhere else.

With 2.1-based ROMs (bugless, rooted stock 2.1, etc...) the wifi works fine at home.

Your issue is at home if you can connect everywhere else. I am 99.9% sure it is a router issue. You need to "power cycle" your router and then try to connect to it. Try it. I think that will solve the problem

Aixelsyd

Reaction score

Your issue is at home if you can connect everywhere else. I am 99.9% sure it is a router issue. You need to "power cycle" your router and then try to connect to it. Try it. I think that will solve the problem

I'll second that. Just flashed my buddies Droid this weekend to 2.2 and had this same issue as the OP. In his case tho I needed to update his firmware on the router even for some reason. Once I did and reset it up all was good to go.

OP
mzmtg

mzmtg

Reaction score
A coworker suggested turning off the dual band b/g on the router and running g only.

Any reason I should try that after power cycling and updating the router?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been on 2.2 since it was leaked, and tried most 2.2 ROMs, plus p3, Chevy, and Sapphire kernels. Wifi just flat out doesn't work as well on this 2.2 leak we all have... on my phone anyway. But I've tried so many different setups and wiped and all of that, so I can't imagine it's not a more common issue.

Whether I'm at home or work, it will NOT connect automatically. I simply have to open up wifi settings and then it says "obtaining IP address for..." and connects. The other thing I've noticed is that my wifi icon in the notification bar always shows it's at the bottom. I don't know if that's accurate or not, but it doesn't hold the wifi signal nearly as good as... (next paragraph)

I flashed back to stock 2.1 a couple of days ago and it works perfectly again. Grabs my wifi signal before I'm even in my house (or office), bars show up, maintains it almost perfectly and it's a noticeably more consistent connection.

Hopefully it's just something related to the fact that this is a leak and not the final version of 2.2. Though I'm sure the next post in this thread will talk about how their wifi works perfectly everywhere, if not better, on 2.2. So, go figure... :)

gloster

Reaction score
I have had the same experience as jntowers.

My wifi works under 2.2. But, I also have to go to wireless settings in order for it to start looking and find my network. It also does not seem to hold the signal as well. Finally, it always shows zero bars of wifi signal strength. But despite all that, it does work everywhere in my house so I have stayed with 2.2 since one of the early leaks.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have had the same experience as jntowers.

My wifi works under 2.2. But, I also have to go to wireless settings in order for it to start looking and find my network. It also does not seem to hold the signal as well. Finally, it always shows zero bars of wifi signal strength. But despite all that, it does work everywhere in my house so I have stayed with 2.2 since one of the early leaks.

in chatting on irc, it was suggested that i edit the build.prop file to change it back to 15 second intervals just to see if that helps, since that's what stock 2.1 runs... seems to be helping at work, but will test it at home later and report back

Joe2000

Reaction score

I noticed the same issue with my Droid, but when my battery is down to about 30% it works great, charge it up and then it starts dropping the WiFi again. Is there something that tells the WiFi radio to reduce power if the battery is low (and they got it backwards)?