Wifi drops out after about 2 minutes of use

dtrb

Reaction score
I'm using a Linksys WRT54G router. WPA2 with AES encryption.

It's most noticable when I'm using Listen to download podcasts, it'll download about 10-20 MB and then just stop. Eventually I get a network connection error, and the only way to get it working again is to disable Wifi and then re-enable it.

I've searched the internets and I found a link at Moto's site that's about 80 pages long so I didn't really feel like going thru it all. So I thought I'd reach out to the community here to see if anybody else is experiencing this.

By the way, I've tried setting my Droid to a static IP and that didn't seem to fix the problem. And I know it's not my router as my desktop (wired) is constantly seeding BitTorrent connections, and both laptops (wireless my girfriend's and mine) will also stay connected. I've also had a iPod Touch on this network, and countless other laptops connected over the years.

Also, I'm no computer moron, I have a Dell laptop that I've got OSX, Ubuntu, and Windows 7 on, and I work in IT. So it's not user error, or ID10T errors.

silverx10

Reaction score
I think I saw something about this on Motorola's Facebook page.

Saying that they're aware of DROID connectivity issues and are currently troubleshooting at this time.

Though perhaps I'm mistaken?

vandyike

Reaction score
wifi

The most frustrating thing with this phone. With no Verizon service here wifi is the only choice. As I sit with Blackberry users with good connections and I have this "superior" Droid it's mind boggling. Grrrt

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The most frustrating thing with this phone. With no Verizon service here wifi is the only choice. As I sit with Blackberry users with good connections and I have this "superior" Droid it's mind boggling. Grrrt

Well, I have some problems with WiFi in my house and I had the Blackberry Storm 2 prior to the Droid. I can tell you that I had the same problems with the Storm and WiFi that I have with my Droid. It's a signal issue, at least in my house.

Frustrates me because my wife is on her laptop with no problems, my Airport Express streams music flawlessly via iTunes through my sound system and my TiVos both can access my wireless network without issue. Don't know why phones have a problem.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wi-fi on my linksys router never drops. I'd have to double check but I think I'm using the same model as the OP. I've used my Droid on several other wi-fi networks and have never lost my connection.

edit: linksys router model no. wrt54g2 V1

bbtkd

Reaction score

Well, I have some problems with WiFi in my house and I had the Blackberry Storm 2 prior to the Droid. I can tell you that I had the same problems with the Storm and WiFi that I have with my Droid. It's a signal issue, at least in my house.

Frustrates me because my wife is on her laptop with no problems, my Airport Express streams music flawlessly via iTunes through my sound system and my TiVos both can access my wireless network without issue. Don't know why phones have a problem.

The difference is that the laptop has more room for an antenna. Most laptops use one or two wire runs in the laptop cover. Your phone only has room for a shorter antenna. Don't know what Tivos use.

iRomeo

Reaction score
This still doesn't answer the mysterious question... How do we fix this problem with the droids dropping the wifi after some time? Is there a fix or a setting to which we have to change in order to keep our wifi from dropping. I never had this problem using PDANET on stock droid OS. Im using the blueGlass ROM and my PDAnet app works but wifi drops the connection. What's the deal?

anuraj1

Reaction score
Try this:

In Settings>Wireless & Networks>Wifi Settings:

connect to your preferred network.

press the menu button and choose "advanced"

under wifi sleep policy choose "never"

See if that helps.