Issues connecting to wifi repeater

Zerrian

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out here. I have two Encore ENHWI-2AN3 wifi router/repeaters set up in my house. One is set as the wifi-router and the other is the repeater to obviously push a bigger signal through the house. I'm currently using a Droid Razr and my mom has a HTC Rezound.

Here is the issue I'm having: both phones, when trying to connect to the wifi router/repeater do not make full connections, the wifi icons are just a light grey. All other devices (PS3, laptops, PCs, etc.) connect to the wifi router/repeater combo just fine. I've tried using a static IP on my phone to see if there was an IP conflict but that didn't work either. I've also noticed that when the repeater was off temporarily, the phones COULD connect to the router just fine.

So my question is this: why WON'T my phones connect to my network when the repeater is on but WILL connect when the repeater is off???

I hope someone can help me cause Google searches have proved to be uneventful.

Thanks everyone.

diazd2

Reaction score
I found this somewhere else (so no credit at all goes to me).. I was having the same problem. This is what helped me:

My wife and I both have a Droid X. Out of the box, they are not compatible with the router and will cause it to reboot periodically and fail to connect to the Droids. Other Thoughts: I narrowed the problem down to 802.11n connections on the Droids. For whatever reason, WPA/TKIP-secured connections will only connect on 802.11b/g (which wouldn’t crash), while WPA2/AES-secured connections will use 802.11b/g/n (which would crash, unless I also turned off the 802.11n radio).The solution for me was to set up two SSIDs, one using WPA2/AES, and one using WPA/TKIP. I set the Droids up to use the WPA SSID and the other computers in the house use the WPA2 SSID. It’s a decent workaround, allowing me to still get the speed benefits of 802.11n on my other computers without sporadic crashing from the Droids, and Encore saved me from having to do an RMA by allowing multiple simultaneous SSIDs.Still, there’s a clear flaw here that Encore needs to address. Even if the problem is Motorola’s fault, the router shouldn’t reboot just because a flaky connection comes in.

Good luck!!

OP
Z

Zerrian

Reaction score
Thank you so much diazd2. I didn't even think about splitting my wifi signal in two. After resetting the IP addresses of my router & repeater, I now have 2 signals. The original signal is being used by my repeater and all devices accept phones. The 2nd signal is for the phones, it sadly has a bit of a weaker signal but considering the house I live in is basically in a data-dead zone, I'll take what I can get!

Thanks again, you're a life saver! :hail: :biggrin: