Wi-Fi Calling Now Available On Verizon Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge!

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I would imagine it will roll out at the same time as the Note 5. My guess is when Marshmallow comes out

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Let us know how the S6 WIFI calling works out for you..

I've had wifi calling going for about a week now and when it's working, it works well. It doesn't always engage when I'm at home since sometimes the very weak Verizon signal will still be recognized by the phone. I wish there was a way to force it to always go over wifi when connected to wireless.

This morning, for example, my girlfriend called and the call wouldn't connect right away. I answered and I could hear her but apparently she couldn't hear me. I did see the wifi icon on the call. She had to call back 2 more times before both sides could hear each other. I think it was doing the handoff from cellular to wifi.

I feel the transition between Verizon and wifi isn't very smooth. And I've also noticed that sometimes my phone doesn't go back to mobile data when leaving a wifi connection, typically after I've taken a call over wifi.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I've had wifi calling going for about a week now and when it's working, it works well. It doesn't always engage when I'm at home since sometimes the very weak Verizon signal will still be recognized by the phone. I wish there was a way to force it to always go over wifi when connected to wireless.

This morning, for example, my girlfriend called and the call wouldn't connect right away. I answered and I could hear her but apparently she couldn't hear me. I did see the wifi icon on the call. She had to call back 2 more times before both sides could hear each other. I think it was doing the handoff from cellular to wifi.

I feel the transition between Verizon and wifi isn't very smooth. And I've also noticed that sometimes my phone doesn't go back to mobile data when leaving a wifi connection, typically after I've taken a call over wifi.
This is the problem we face with VZW. Seems we always push them and get irate when they don't release updates as soon as others..... However in the same sense it seems that VZW always seems to release very buggy updates.... I am not sure if I see this more because I am a VZW customer or if it's actually true... But I do see from this post and multiple others that it looks like this release was very premature..... Seems sometimes they release things without thinking if they will work or not...

Also the "tin foil hat" part of me thinks maybe they did this on purpose to try and show that Wifi calling isn't a viable option thus why they won't release it on other devices.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Also the "tin foil hat" part of me thinks maybe they did this on purpose to try and show that Wifi calling isn't a viable option thus why they won't release it on other devices.

If that truly were the case, why go through the paces of getting the FCC exemption...would seem like more effort than it's worth. And why wouldn't they move forward then in fixing the areas that are "known marginal-service areas" to make sure their coverage truly is the best in the country? (I stated before in another post on here somewhere that VZW knows my neighborhood is one of these areas that has marginal service).

No argument here...just playing devil's advocate a little. I do think they could've spent more time in getting the wifi calling truly worked out before allowing it.

And maybe my comment in the previous post about mobile data being unavailable after a wifi call may not be accurate. This morning I had a call over wifi and when I left that connection, mobile data was present. Very quirky.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
If that truly were the case, why go through the paces of getting the FCC exemption...would seem like more effort than it's worth. And why wouldn't they move forward then in fixing the areas that are "known marginal-service areas" to make sure their coverage truly is the best in the country? (I stated before in another post on here somewhere that VZW knows my neighborhood is one of these areas that has marginal service).

No argument here...just playing devil's advocate a little. I do think they could've spent more time in getting the wifi calling truly worked out before allowing it.

And maybe my comment in the previous post about mobile data being unavailable after a wifi call may not be accurate. This morning I had a call over wifi and when I left that connection, mobile data was present. Very quirky.
I'm not saying I have any real belief it's all a scam but it was a scenario that came to mind so I posted. Lol

I hope it is just a little buggy and post an update.

Note 4tified

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I'm not saying I have any real belief it's all a scam but it was a scenario that came to mind so I posted. Lol

In a way, it would be nice so that they might be "forced" to upgrade their network where I live. :)

I'm also hoping they're working out the initial kinks and getting it smoothed out. We'll see over time I guess.