Why would you ever need to retire your Droid 1?

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was in a forum, and someone said that they would be using their favorite Rom until they retire their Droid.

I've never thought of retiring my Droid. Since the Android OS is becoming so much more robust and faster each iteration, I had to ask the question: why would you ever need to retire your Droid 1?

As long as the battery holds up, and the processor doesn't melt because of my Overclocking obsession, what would a person need from another phone?

My Droid has a keyboard. It can run at 1 Ghz, no problem. I mean sure, the graphics processor could stand for more power. Ok, so maybe it doesn't have the most memory, but for a smartphone, it's pretty powerful. Oh and did I mention it has a keyboard?

I don't need to use my keyboard. I could choose to keep it hidden forever, for all I care. But the fact that it has one, puts it in a class by itself.

My Droid is highly customizable. I can root it, and make it call me daddy. I can install custom Rom's, and give it a new look and feel whenever I get tired with what I have. Whether it's Simply Stunning, Ultimate Droid, or MIUI, I am always changing my style, and never board with my Droid.

I see people here who type, OG Droid, and I immediately think of my Droid as an "Original Gangsta". I'm not sure if that's what it means, but it has a nice ring to it. Even now, almost 1.5 years after it's introduction....wait, it's just been 1.5 years. The Droid came out in October 2009, and it's March 2011, so 18 months = 1.5 years. It seems so long ago in the Cell Phone world. I mean Verizon has the Iphone finally, and no one thought it would happen. Motorola is talking about it's new lineup of Droid phones, wow, the "OG" Droid seems like it was so long ago.

I raise my Droid up high, as it's 3.7 inch TFT LCD Display glistens in the light, it steadily blinking telling me that I have a new message. Always willing to please, always there to take my calls, to give me free Visual Voicemail, or Turn by Turn Navigation.

My Droid is here to stay...unless some unforeseen circumstance occurs where my Droid breaks, and the only way to fix it is to give me a Droid III. Well, I guess worse things could happen.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i hear you man. But some people have to have the latest and greatest. I have to admit I had an upgrade so I used it for the D2, but I still have my D1.

mikehal38

Reaction score
I loved my d1 but eventually developers will stop supporting it. I didn't need to upgrade but I'm glad I did. My droid x is a much better phone even with the locked bootloader. I also loved my d1 so much that it was the first phone I've ever had that I didn't upgrade from the day my upgrade was available. It took me 3 months before I upgraded.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
akhenax

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I loved my d1 but eventually developers will stop supporting it. I didn't need to upgrade but I'm glad I did. My droid x is a much better phone even with the locked bootloader.

What makes your Droid X better?

mikehal38

Reaction score
I loved my d1 but eventually developers will stop supporting it. I didn't need to upgrade but I'm glad I did. My droid x is a much better phone even with the locked bootloader.

What makes your Droid X better?

For one I like that my x has a noticeable weight difference. The d1 is quite a bit heavier to me. I love the big screen and even though my d1 was overclocked my x is much smoother and snappier than my d1 was. I listen to music a lot and my d1 seemed to slow down a bit while playing music and my x doesn't slow down at all.

Gritwater

Reaction score
I got a dx coming monday.

The lack of future support is the most legit reasoning. I loved my playstation...but they quit making games when the ps2 came out.

Sent from my Droid 2 while driving. Thankyou Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

droidlady05

Reaction score
I clean my cache once a day and davlick cache once a week to keep things snappy. No need for a dx. I'm ride or die with my OG Droid until it dies or the community stops supporting it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

mikehal38

Reaction score
Another reason that made upgrading from my d1 much easier is that I didn't use my upgrade. I still have an upgrade coming in september in which I'll use to get a dual core if they are available at that time.

darkmatter

Reaction score
I was jonesing for a new phone, my droid seemingly on its last legs...then I decided to finally root it. Its like a whole new phone.

Now I'm perfectly content waiting to upgrade to the more perfect phone, a true successor to the droid, as there's nothing out yet that is really -that- much better. I have an upgrade to burn, but I'm not in any hurry as of yet.

I'm hoping the true successor is the droid3. (ie, motorola, keyboard and google experience). With that one twitter leak saying d3 would be blur-less, I can keep my hopes up for this to happen.

mikehal38

Reaction score
I clean my cache once a day and davlick cache once a week to keep things snappy. No need for a dx. I'm ride or die with my OG Droid until it dies or the community stops supporting it.

That brings me to another point as to why I like my dx more than my d1. I've never had to clear my cache from day one and it's just as snappy as the day I got it. Not to mention it helps speed the phone up because it doesn't have to redownload everyones twitter and facebook pictures that would be stored in the cache.

Pupalei

Reaction score
I'm very happy with my Droid, but a few things will make me upgrade eventually. One, my work e-mail and calendar brought my Droid to its knees under the Verizon build. I don't know if it was memory, single-coreness, or cpu speed, but it was enough to make me think my phone was dead.

Since then, I've rooted, and am running Peter's ultra-smooth Gingerbread ROM. I'm going to backup, and then try again to install my work VPN, etc. If it runs okay, then I'm with you guys. If it dies again, I'll have decisions to make.

Now you may reply, "your work's software sounds like buggy, bloated crap." I will smile and thank you for your accurate and irrelevant observation ;-)

Oh, and also, I read a lot more than I type, so the bigger screens are calling.

But no argument that the OG Droid rocks!

Gritwater

Reaction score
upon some investigation and account management... I discovered that my plan (single line with 450 minutes and the max text) costs 99.00 a month

2 lines on a family plan (sharing 700 minutes and max texts) costs the 79.99/month, (butI have to get the data plan for $20 so it's a wash) and I get 250 more minutes (not like I will use them though)

So, I upgraded my line, and used the upgrade to get a Dx (I have a D2 currently). I did this for multiple reasons....

1. Dx will be the main phone, but that leaves me a D2 for a good backup... so I am not retiring it by anymeans. I have wanted a phone I could switch my number to when I don't want to take my main phone with me... ie- to theme parks where I may get wet, out on the boat, trail riding and many other times I can't think of. I won't switch my number back and forth, but what I will do is have my Dx number forwarded to my D2 whenever I take it. And I will still have my music, camera, etc available to me with my D2

2. I can wireless tether using my rooted D2 AND talk on the phone at the same time. alas.... a dream that most droid owners can't do like our iphone brethren... (oh, I'm still going to root my Dx and have tethering ability, but this helps)

3. Rub it into my brother who is trying to get a Dx but has to wait til April.... this will only be a temporary benefit... but I'll make it count

4. I will use the same gmail account on both devices, so all my paid for apps will be on both devices

5. (and this is what applies to this thread) My second line is now about 1 year off of my main line as far as upgrades are concerned. So, in March 2012, I can upgrade line 1 and demote my Dx to a (still) reliable backup phone and upgrade to the latest and greatest available then.

I would still be on my D1 had they not sent a D2 as a replacement when my D1 crapped out (around August last year) and 1 year is about as long as I'm comfortable with the technology curve. Even if I still had the D1 (and not the better D2) I would still be content with my plan using a D1 as my backup phone.

I loved my Moto Razr too, but I'm glad I upgraded as better came out.

Last edited:

gsDroid

Reaction score
I've had my original Droid since the day they went on sale and even though I have a free upgrade in hand, I've never really considered another phone yet. Just today updated my GPA14 to GPA14 (beta 2) and am having so much fun I still don't want any other released phone. If Motorola releases the Bionic with an unlocked bootloader and Peter Alsonso supports it, I know I would have to get one.

OP
akhenax

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
3. Rub it into my brother who is trying to get a Dx but has to wait til April.... this will only be a temporary benefit... but I'll make it count

Hilarious. :)