Why won't Skype work?

tunaman

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm a long-time IT guy who is new to Android (just got a VM Intercept for Christmas). I'm having an issue with Skype: I can log in and see all my contacts, but when I click on one to call them, I instantly get a "call ended" screen. If I try to call again, I get a message that says something like "2 calls in progress; you must end one to start another". I can't find any way to end the rogue call, so I use Advanced Task Manager to exit Skype and restart the app.

Any suggestions? I've googled the heck outta this, but my Google-Fu has failed me.

AFAIK, this is 2.1 on a VM Intercept, with the latest version of Skype installed from the Market. I've verified that my Wi-Fi connection is working properly with the phone.

Ideas? Thanks in advance!

OP
T

tunaman

Reaction score
Sorry. In the OP I said "got a VM Intercept for Christmas". I'm new to Android, but "VM" seems to be the standard abbreviation for Virgin Mobile at the handful of sites I've been to.

I'm not sure I understand your second comment. Yes, it's a 3G phone, but Skype only seems to work via Wi-Fi. For troubleshooting purposes, I disabled Wi-Fi on the phone to try to force it to use 3G, but Skype kindly told me that it only works via Wi-Fi in the US.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
We're mostly a Verizon site. :) My apologies for not recognizing the abbreviation. Hopefully that won't slip by me again. :)

Interesting. Last I checked there was a 3G version as well as WiFi Version. Of course, I'm on an Android 2.2 phone. Let me check to see if that's still the case. If not, there's a hacked app available here that DOES work over 3G, for most people, that I could point you at.

OP
T

tunaman

Reaction score
Progress? I found another thread that offered the following tip:

1) Log out of Skype and disable Wi-Fi on the phone.

2) Enable airplane mode, then wait a few seconds and re-enable Wi-Fi.

3) Log back in to Skype.

4) Calls mysteriously go through.

Even after you take the phone out of airplane mode, calls continue to go through. I don't know why this is, but it seems to work... so far.

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Ah, that's actually a functional workaround. Samsung phones are tricky when it comes to Skype.

The reason that method works is that, for whatever reason, Samsung phones try to access 3G unless it's not available, but can't, and error out like you saw. I don't have WiFi at home so I don't even think about enabling it 90% of the time, so...

By turning on Airplane mode and then toggling WiFi you're forcing Skype to use WiFi because there's no 3G available. Clever. Pain in the butt, but clever. :) Thank you, kind sir, as I have been schooled today. ;)