Why won't my ghetto hacked cable work?

Northbanu

Reaction score
Goal: Longer charging cable.
Problem: Got better things on which to spend 12 bucks.
Solution: On hand, I have at least a dozen USB printer cables, and a box of various adapter.

So I took 2 printer cables, cut the "square" end off, stripped the wires, spliced 'em together, and slapped a male-to-female adapter on one end.

No go. Charges a "feature phone" from my junk box though.

Any thoughts?

OP
N

Northbanu

Reaction score
Meh! Twelve bucks is a six pack of Bells Two-Hearted Ale, a frozen pizza, and a gas station vending machine condom! C'mon now, a USB extension cord, or romantic evening with the lady?

At this point I'm curious about why it's not working. My mouse works plugged into it. It's 10' long, voltage drop perhaps? I dunno. I'm missing something I'm sure. Maybe instructables.com ....

Last edited:

Snow02

Reaction score
I love this thread title...I think it answers the question it proposes.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
You can buy a $200+ device and $30 a month data charges but you can't afford $12 for a cable?

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
If it doesn't work you don't really have much of a choice other than buying a new cord.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Snow02

Reaction score
But the answer to your question is the connector you spliced on. Higher power devices utilize different wiring in the cable connectors. If you splice on a connector from another cable you know charges your phone, then it will work.

samiusmc

Reaction score
Goal: Longer charging cable.
Problem: Got better things on which to spend 12 bucks.
Solution: On hand, I have at least a dozen USB printer cables, and a box of various adapter.

So I took 2 printer cables, cut the "square" end off, stripped the wires, spliced 'em together, and slapped a male-to-female adapter on one end.

No go. Charges a "feature phone" from my junk box though.

Any thoughts?

Check out this site for the cheapest cables around. I bought a cable from them for $3.00 and it was $30.00 on Amazon.

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

OP
N

Northbanu

Reaction score
@ samiusmc

Nice link. Other gadget stuff to.
Think Ill buy 2 USB cables, cut the wrong ends off, strip the wires, splice 'em together, and slap a male-to-female adapter on one end.

Wonder if it will work...

Snow02

Reaction score
As long as you use cables that charge the phone, it will work fine.

OP
N

Northbanu

Reaction score
As long as you use cables that charge the phone, it will work fine.

Obviously. But what is so different? A USB cable is 4 four wires and a shield. I'm using a standard Verizon issue charging cable (which should be a standard 5 pin mico USB), plugged into the female adapter of my ghetto cable.
If I cut off the end of my charging cable, there will be 4 wires, red, black, white, and green. There is not alot of "wiring" going on BETWEEN the ends of a USB cable.

I think it's a voltage loss due to insufficient wire gage. But if you have an answer, please share. I wont this to work, damn it!

Snow02

Reaction score
I forget what the difference is. There's a short between two of the wires or something. Google should be able to elucidate it.

lockman

Reaction score
The voltage drop is at the spices. If you really want a proper looking ghetto cable, get a 10' section of 18/4 and some beanies.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App