My Work with the Bionic and USB Host Mode

striker85

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am posting this with the hope that I will be providing a condensed source of information looking to use the Bionic as a USB host without any docks and whatnot.

Supplies:
1 Standard USB A cable
1 Standard USB A socket
1 Micro USB plug

Short version:

Cut the USB A cable and splice the female socket onto the micro USB plug.
Splice into that cable the USB male end so that you now have a three ended cable.

Done!

Here's a video explaining:

http://s1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa378/harrismat/?action=view&current=otg.mp4

Last edited:
OP
striker85

striker85

Reaction score
The issue here isn't buying a cable, rather it is getting the Bionic to function in USB host mode without a dock. Do some reading, you'll see that even with a purchased OTG cable, the Bionic still needs some help to function as a USB host. Furthermore, my real goal is to experiment with the Bionic hosting different USB devices, primarily as I mentioned, an external camera.

grgguy

Reaction score
Please keep us posted with any further progress . This is something I would be very much interested in .
Also I was able to use my old D1 as a web cam and then access it from my bionic using wifi . If your interested let me know .

OP
striker85

striker85

Reaction score
For the D1 - get an app called IP webcam. It will take a little setup, but you will be able to use the D1 as a webcam and then access it from a browser through IP. Rather simple, actually.

I'm sort of at a roadblock with getting an external camera to work on the Bionic. I have the cable and power supply taken care of. Now the issue is drivers/app support.