www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Why The Verizon iPhone Rumors are True—CDMA iPhone Due in January

by Steve Cheney on Aug 8, 2010

iphone4verizonsmall.jpg

We’ve been hearing Verizon iPhone rumors for years now.

It’s to the point that no one really believes the rumors anymore, since analysts and pundits have cried wolf so many times. But this time looks to be different due to some key dynamics in the semiconductor value chain, and I am going to go on record to say Verizon will be selling an iPhone this coming January.

Here’s why:

Smartphones like the iPhone are built from a collection of components, which are sourced individually from suppliers—e.g. the iPhone 4’s cellular baseband (the core chipset used in mobile phones to handle voice and data communications) comes from Infineon and its GPS chipset from Broadcom .

Component purchases and manufacturing starts don’t typically reveal strong links to individual handset OEMs. But in some cases components have a DNA which is traceable through the supply chain. For example, iPad rumors became much more concrete when we knew Apple was procuring large LCD screens.

For typical refreshes of GSM -based iPhones (the model that works on AT&T’s network), suppliers and component product families remain fairly consistent between models. But a Verizon compatible iPhone would be CDMA -based, which would make its DNA distinct from other iPhones and traceable through the supply chain.

The dominant supplier of CDMA chipsets is Qualcomm , the largest fabless chip company in the world. Apple has never procured baseband chipsets from Qualcomm before.
If Qualcomm were to plan for orders from Apple, there would be a ripple effect through the supply chain. It works like this: Apple’s iPhone forecast links to Qualcomm’s CDMA chipset forecast, which then trickles down to their foundry partner TSMC , who uses the forecast to plan wafer starts.

A CDMA-based iPhone would likely sell 2-3 million units in the first few weeks (modeled after iPhone 4’s oversubscribed launch). The lead-time associated with upside in the semiconductor world is huge, sometimes as long as 26 weeks (supply is tight right now so this rule is in effect and Apple had major supply problems with the iPhone 4 and iPad).

Sources with knowledge of this entire situation have assured me that Apple has submitted orders for millions of units of Qualcomm CDMA chipsets for a Verizon iPhone run due in December. This production run would likely be for a January launch, and I’d bet the phone is nearly 100% consistent with the current iPhone 4 (with a fixed internal insulator on the antenna).

I can’t say with 100% accuracy that an iPhone will hit Verizon store shelves in January, but all of the signals point that way, and it would give Verizon’s CEO some interesting things to talk about in his CES keynote (though he may have to refrain as CES comes before Macworld, Apple’s historical launching pad). I may be proven wrong, but based on my history dealing with components and selling to Apple, a Verizon-compatible iPhone looks to be a done deal.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/08/verizon-iphone-january/

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
That will be a sad day....

drpurp

Reaction score
If it were to be released, would that mean a shift of priorities for Verizon in terms of Andr-- ahem, smartphones? =(

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Wait, I just read somewhere that AT&T owns exclusive rights to the iPhone through 2012?

The hell is going on here...

lumpysherman

Reaction score
As a Mac user and a VZW customer I personally won't be moving to the iphone. I used to always want one since I firstgot my ipod touch especially after getting the storm but since moving to Moto Droid and rooting there's not a chance in hell I'm moving too the iphone.
This is my droid, there are many like it but this one is mine. I am nothing without my droid....

Moto droid FRG22 - ROOTED

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
They could be giving them away with $100 cash and I wouldn't move to the iphone.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Android 100%, if you really feel the iphone urge, just get an ipod touch and tether it off ur droid. My brother sent me his and Im doing that.........and after getting rid of my iphone in november and going android for 8.5 mnths then seeing the itouch, apple sucks compared to android. Other then playing music (because of the poor designed droid headphone jack) the iphone serves no other purpose other then a table prop.

azules9780

Reaction score
I like that Marine Corps and FMJ quote there. I agree, I'm all for people to have choice and that includes the iPhone. I worry about a few things though. 1) the increased traffic and demand on an already taxed infrastructure. In no way do I look forward to VZW being brought to it's knees by too much traffic. 2) I love the development and rapid-fire launching of new things for Android. I wonder how much it will continue to advance in all aspects such as apps, phone peripherals(docks,stereo etc.), and more awesome phones overall that seem tp constantly be on the horizon.

a73

Reaction score
Comments from the OP's posted link point out that the iPhone might go to Sprint instead of Verizon, or maybe for a CDMA iPad. Both carriers are CDMA, and Sprint desperately needs the iPhone to survive, Verizon doesn't. I wonder how it will all turn out.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was gonna ask what other carrier uses CDMA. If the iPhone does go to Sprint or Verizon, all thats gonna happen is the current iPhone users will get it. I dont see many ppl thats already happy with Android switching to the iPhone.

It will just mean one more choice for a phone wherever it goes...I think it might be too little too late for the iPhone to be the absolute top dog. Apple shoulda been had it on more carriers.

I wonder....is it gonna be the same deal: be on only one carrier. I can see Apple doing that....if all this is true.

droid_mike

Reaction score
We'll see what happens. Verizon has no need for the iPhone, but Steve Jobs needs the iPhone on Verizon. If this is true, then I guess "Jobs panicked and blinked, 'cos there is no way that Verizon will be giving them the same sweet subsidy deal that AT&T gave them. That means the iPhone will cost a lot more on Verizon, and AT&T may come back at the last minute and up the ante even more, considering that the loss of the iPhone would kill them as a company.

Who knows... But, this is going to be the real test for Android.... will it stack up with the competition. Can it be the status symbol that the iPhone has become in order to compete with it?

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Taken from slashgear.com:

We can be honest, AT&T is pretty much a one trick pony with the iPhone exclusive. Without the iPhone, the wireless carrier has some other smartphones and devices that are interesting but with the iPhone generating 3.2 million activations in Q2 2010 alone, that single device is hugely important for AT&T’s bottom line.

iphone-4-hands-on-slashgear-75-slashgear-498x500.jpg

We all know that the iPhone will be freed from the AT&T chokehold eventually. At that point, most expect to see the device land on rival Verizon giving iPhone fans an out from the issues plaguing the device on the AT&T network.

AT&T’s SEC filing hints in several statements that the iPhone exclusive is very near the end of its run. Things are said in the filing like an entire section devoted to risks when “exclusivity arrangements end” and assurances to shareholders that the loss of the iPhone wasn’t seen as a “material negative impact” and customer turn over wouldn’t necessarily increase. Moving carriers is a pain for customers, but AT&T has a lot of iPhone user ire working against it and there are many customers counting the days until they can leave with their iPhone.

AT&T hints at loss of iPhone exclusive in SEC filing - SlashGear

Last edited:

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
I don't know about you guys but I would get it :p I'd probably wait a little longer till the iPhone 4 is cheaper and more jailbreak-friendly...
Don't get me wrong, I love my Droid, but my iPod Touch is up there on my list too. I think the whole iPhone vs. Droid and which one is better debates are dumb. Phones are about personal opinion. The iPhone is really simple and locked down, while the Droid is simple and open. They both can do pretty much the same stuff..not like their features are that different if you really think about it.
Apple has made millions with the iPhone and Google has made millions with their Android phones. So they both are good phones. People need to stop being so simple-minded and see that their both great phones.

markwebb

Reaction score
Comments from the OP's posted link point out that the iPhone might go to Sprint instead of Verizon, or maybe for a CDMA iPad. Both carriers are CDMA, and Sprint desperately needs the iPhone to survive, Verizon doesn't. I wonder how it will all turn out.

Good point! Sprint needs something...quickly.