Why root? (sorry new guy here)

Garnold

Reaction score
Is the main purpose for rooting to install apps that you currently could not? I wanted to install a backup program but it told me I had to root my device.

To remove bloat ware? Is this to just get extra space? With 8gig of room why take a chance of something going wrong or is there more to this?

Install roms? So I guess these are OS's for the Droid X other then the one that comes with it correct?

Again, just trying to learn what the advantages are here and not casting any judgments.

**Update**
Sorry I just found this thread on rooting and I expect it to help me a lot. Still, any thoughts are always welcome here to help me along.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wireless tether etc..

Free Wireless tethering is my main reason
But removing the bloat is nice so I don't have to stare at the apps I don't want

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Overclocking? Can you run SetCPU on the X? I mean I don't see any reason why not.

I'd say install of Froyo too but I think that's coming up pretty quick anyway so I don't know if that's truly a reason to root….unless you can't wait. Lots of things you can do with 2.2. Chrome2phone, and the new Android2Cloud. Cool apps.

carpenter_22

Reaction score
to be one with my phone lol no relay to make it function like it should by overclocking and removing crap that is not needed on the phone.

OP
G

Garnold

Reaction score
Has anyone overclocked the Droid X and if so did you really see that much improvement? I'm guessing the unit got pretty hot right?

neccoguy21

Reaction score
The two huge reasons for me are overclocking and apps2sd. Rooting gives those special apps the ability to change around some of those very private files that regulate what the phone can and can't do. Rooting (if the directions are followed properly about backing up, and even then, you can still download a backup) is also completely reverseable.

Reaction score
rooting the x doesnt allow 2.2 or overclocking

You cannot overclock the rooted x ..or install 2.2 ...

givmedew

Reaction score
wow this question is asked so much. ... it is also totally covered in the newb section.

At the current time I think the 2 biggest things for Droid X users are:
Removal of bloatware especially CityID (may increase the speed of the phone definitely cleaner)
WiFi Tether for free (although this is immoral but oh well)

On other phones people root for a ton ton more reasons. Awesome themes, major OS changes, unreleased firmware versions, app2sd, overclocking and more. Not yet available on this phone!

OP
G

Garnold

Reaction score
wow this question is asked so much. ... it is also totally covered in the newb section.

At the current time I think the 2 biggest things for Droid X users are:
Removal of bloatware especially CityID (may increase the speed of the phone definitely cleaner)
WiFi Tether for free (although this is immoral but oh well)

On other phones people root for a ton ton more reasons. Awesome themes, major OS changes, unreleased firmware versions, app2sd, overclocking and more. Not yet available on this phone!

WiFi tether for free? Are you talking about the cost of easy tether or PDA net? If you root you don't need any of those apps?