Rooting Newb

OP
S

SupaDave

Reaction score
Hmmm...odd. want me to send it to you?

DroidForums junkie!!
It started to download....but I thought I read some where that you have to unkown source box checked in the settings.....maybe I am wrong.

subwayhello

Reaction score
another fresh droid user here (activated the phone today/signed up for forums today) i gotta spend some time reading before I choose to root my phone but from what I understand we must first run dx Bootstrapper to back up files then download the z4root.apk let the phone install it then run it from the app list, click root and let it root the phone. I found this youtube [video=youtube;gvB4YSIC2Vw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvB4YSIC2Vw"]video [/video]which is pretty good and also plugs these forums.

my question is, everytime i try to download the .apk file, and ive tried many different ones from different sources (inc the one on the youtube link description), the phone either says dl unsuccessful or something like this content is not supported by the phone. Is there something im doing wrong ?? my phone is all the way up to date, any help will help greatly.

edit: i have the allow unkown sources box checked and it no longer gives me the error*
settings>applications>unkown sources (allow installation of nonMarket applications)

OP
S

SupaDave

Reaction score
I think it is because of what said on my last post I am just trying to verify with someone who knows..........I didnt see you answered on your previos post Driod.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
To anyone that would like the apk: just send me your email in a PM (I'm not a psycho or anything) and I will send it to you...no dl'd required :)

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
S

SupaDave

Reaction score
So the unknown sources box has to be checked and the the debugging box has to be checked also.......correct?????????

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You have to be rooted to make backups. Superuser can't give Bootstrapper permission if Superuser doesn't exist. You may be thinking of running Bootstrapper to make a backup before flashing ROMs, themes, etc. In which case, you would be right, that is STRONGLY recommended! :)

another fresh droid user here (activated the phone today/signed up for forums today) i gotta spend some time reading before I choose to root my phone but from what I understand we must first run dx Bootstrapper to back up files then download the z4root.apk let the phone install it then run it from the app list, click root and let it root the phone. I found this youtube video which is pretty good and also plugs these forums.

my question is, everytime i try to download the .apk file, and ive tried many different ones from different sources (inc the one on the youtube link description), the phone either says dl unsuccessful or something like this content is not supported by the phone. Is there something im doing wrong ?? my phone is all the way up to date, any help will help greatly.

edit: i have the allow unkown sources box checked and it no longer gives me the error*
settings>applications>unkown sources (allow installation of nonMarket applications)

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
S

SupaDave

Reaction score
Hey Droid can we finish where we left off????

OP
S

SupaDave

Reaction score
Sorry Droid I guess what I was looking for is for someone to make a post on how to download and use z4root plus any and all apps needed before and after and why.Then have it stickyed for any noobs looking for a quick link on how to root and unroot.........But we are getting somewhere thanks for your help.

OP
S

SupaDave

Reaction score
It keeps saying download unsucessfull and i checked both boxs.