Why is screen back-lit when in bedside mode in HD dock?

bamorris2

Reaction score
I purchased the HD dock for the sole purpose of having a bedside clock and alarm. The only thing that I don't like is that the black screen with the time showing remains backlit all the time. I don't understand why that would be the case. With these SAMOLED screens, they can display dark/deep black, yet it doesn't do it in the HD dock. The bedside mode has an adjustment for brightness, but this doesn't seem to affect the backlight.
I've thought about moving to a different bedside mode app, but I want to stay with the Blur alarm clock (my favorite by far).
Any ideas or suggestions?

mcsoul

Reaction score
I just hit the display button if I want it totally off on the dock.

OP
B

bamorris2

Reaction score
I just hit the display button if I want it totally off on the dock.

Hmm, I'm not sure that I completley understand. While in the doc, the screen switches between bright and dim. If I select dim, the black background is still backlit. I want the black background to be totally black/unlit.

dkelly701

Reaction score
I have a Bionic but I know what you are saying. I think it is just a limitation of the display. I know you said you wanted to stay with the stock desk dock but give Alarm Clock Plus a try. It has TONS of features and it has a setting called "Hardware Dim" that really reduces this effect.

dbow27

Reaction score
I like gentle alarm. Lots of options and very dim clock screen for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Zandar

Reaction score
There is a slight backlight on sAMOLED screens, even at their lowest brightness setting. No idea why, but it is annoying.

Sliced from my RAZR

OP
B

bamorris2

Reaction score
There is a slight backlight on sAMOLED screens, even at their lowest brightness setting. No idea why, but it is annoying.

Sliced from my RAZR

I thought that OLED (including AMOLED and SAMOLED) screens don't require a backlight, but LCD's do. Thus the reason that OLED can be seen in direct sunlight whereas LCD can't.

I downloaded a few other dock/clock apps, and they all have very dark (unlit) black backgrounds. Unfortunately, they lack the same features as the Blur dock program. It seems to be that the issue that I'm experiencing is solely with the way that Moto programmed the backlight to be ON. It's like they used the same app from the Droid X, which was LCD. But for the RAZR, they should have optimized it for OLED screens.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean, after the update they changed it. I use a couple of different alarm apps now. I'll try gentle alarm.